David's Reviews > What Happened on Fox Street

What Happened on Fox Street by Tricia Springstubb

M_50x66
Nov 01, 10

bookshelves: kids-fiction

What Happened on Fox Street by Tricia Springstubb is a book I wanted to like more. I thought the setting of Cleveland would be interesting, but Cleveland hardly comes into the story at all. I liked the fact that the story focused, for the most part, on working class families, struggling to make ends meet. Best friends Mo, and Mercedes, who has moved away but spends her summers with her grandmother, both have lost a parent. Things are changing on Fox Street, where all of Mo's memories of her mother are, and Mo doesn't want things to change: she loves Fox Street as is.

I thought some of the writing was wonderful and loved certain sentences. The story, however, was a bit too girl oriented for me, and also a bit too melodramatic for me. The way the Wild Child was allowed to run around seemed like a bad idea. As a Water Works Department worker, who is paid overtime wages at times, one might think Mo's father could be able to afford to hire a babysitter to watch this young child. Running around wearing no underwear - tmi for me. And saying diabolic for diabetic is perhaps too cute.

This may be very popular for female readers. For ages 8 - 12, and those who enjoy stories about families and neighborhoods.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read What Happened on Fox Street.