Meghan's Reviews > Hallowe'en Party

Hallowe'en Party by Agatha Christie

199350
Oct 22, 2010

liked it
bookshelves: brit-lit, british, holiday, own, mystery
Read from October 23 to 25, 2010 — I own a copy , read count: 1

** spoiler alert ** A satisfying ending as I called the murderer. (SPOILER...since p. 67.)

But I found this story to be a, dare I say, bit tedious--about 100 pages too long. The clues were all there if you were paying attention and Christie, as usual, left enough room to doubt who really did it. But I found myself pushing to get through it towards the end. It was almost she had to put in all this filler because she didn't know what else to say.

This story was published in 1969 and I find it so interesting that she really is a time capusule for us. You can really see how English lifestyles, attitudes, morals, beliefs--culture--has changed over the decades. I think what makes this one a bit hard to read is that there is the loss of "innocence" (if one can use that word in regards to murder). This had the tinge of Law & Order/CSI to it, even for Poirot.

If you like Christie, I'd recommend it. It's not really a "Halloween" theme book as really only the setting has anything to do with the holiday. But I challenge you to guess whodunit and how early on you think it is!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Hallowe'en Party.

10/23/2010 page 28
9.0% "Slow start because I was distracted by shopping. Hoping to finish it today."