Julia's Reviews > The Iron Duke

The Iron Duke by Meljean Brook

Jan 12, 11

bookshelves: fiction, favorites, romance, arcs, dropbox
Read in May, 2013, read count: 3

Based on Abigail's advice, I started with the anthology Burning Up. Meljean's contribution, my first experience in the world of the Horde, was immediately riveting. The Iron Duke itself is a meaty, satisfying book that I couldn't put down. Brook does a phenomenal job developing both the world and her characters. While I know it will be awhile before readers have an opportunity to pick up another in this series, I look forwared to filling the time between now and then recommending this book to others and re-reading for myself.

Re-read #1 complete, still phenomenally impressed. With an eye towards the release of Heart of Steel, I paid special attention to Yasmine and Archimedes Fox. Thrown off the side of an airship for mutiny, talk about a difficult beginning to a romance. If anyone can pull it off it will be Meljean Brook, however. I am consistently impressed with the realistic set up and resolution of the difficulties her heros and heroines face. The prejudice of a nation is no minor issue to convincingly convey, Brook did a marvelous job in The Iron Duke.

Re-read #2, prompted by Newbury's story in WILD & STEAMY. Just realized for the first time that the Horde are Mongols, not the Chinese. Sad, but true, I'm not terribly observant.

Re-read #3: A. A. Aguirre's steampunk started out a little slow for me, so I had to gorge on THE IRON DUKE for satisfaction. I find myself skipping a lot of the action just for the character interactions. Love it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Iron Duke.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Catherine So the next book is going to be Fox and Yasmine? I've been hoping it would be.

Anthi Catherine wrote:"So the next book is going to be Fox and Yasmine? I've been hoping it would be"

Yeah I was very intrigued by those two, such a complicated relationship, Julia's right, if anyone can pull it off it will be Brook!

Julia It's going to be off the hook, I just can't wait! I thought perhaps I had exagerated the relationship between Yasmeen and Fox, but, oh no, I had actually forgotten some of it. She killed his *father*, he holds her at gun point and tries to take over her ship, and she just tosses him off. Flies away. Takes his stuff. "Too bad he was an idiot, now he's dead." God, I can't wait...

Anthi *giggles*