Zeynep's Reviews > The Joy Luck Club

The Joy Luck Club by Amy Tan

Oct 27, 2010

liked it
Read in January, 2009

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Joy Luck Club.

Comments <span class="smallText"> (showing 1-6 of 6) </span> <span class="smallText">(6 new)</span>

message 1: by Kadiatu (new)

Kadiatu I'll read this with you!

message 2: by Noor (new)

Noor I LOVED this book. Never saw the movie, but this book inspired me to start reading not only Tan's other works, but other novels written about China and its culture.

message 3: by Kadiatu (new)

Kadiatu I'm a big fan of Chinese lit/philosophy forreal forreal. So what is this story about, Noor?

message 4: by Noor (last edited Oct 24, 2010 10:30AM) (new)

Noor The book's about four Chinese-American girls and their immigrant parents. It focuses on how the girls become "Americanized" and start to view their parents and traditions as obsolete. I enjoyed this book mostly because I could relate to the culture clash that I'm sure every first-generation American like myself feels.

That's awesome that you also like Chinese lit - have you read any of Lisa See's books? Snow Flower and the Secret Fan made me cry ;_;

message 5: by Kadiatu (new)

Kadiatu I'm gonna check this out, and perhaps me and Zozer can write a little commentary like a book club flashback:)
I'll try to read the one you suggested too Noor!

Zeynep Noor I like your summaries and reviews :)

I read this book about 2 years ago. I thought it was ok. Kadiatu, you should read it and tell us what you think!