Kate's Reviews > Let the Great World Spin

Let the Great World Spin by Colum McCann

1914270
Apr 11, 12

Recommended to Kate by: My Mom (surprisingly)
Recommended for: Fans of James Joyce and people who enjoy details
Read from March 22 to April 11, 2012

WHOOT! I'm FINALLY done!

This is one of those "epic" pieces of literature that centers around a central turning point. In this case a tight rope walker walking between the Twin Towers, and then spins off from there in great detail; similar to a James Joyce novel where everything is interconnected, only you don't know how until the very end.

I can see why this book wouldn't be for everyone, but I'm really glad I took the time to read it. Was it a life changing story for me? No, but the exquisiteness of such mundane details and the normalacy of it all, really made the story come alive. Also, that Colum McCann was able to keep the momentum of these details flowing throughout the whole novel, from beginning to end, absolutely astounded me, and I don't get astounded very often.

I would most certainly recommend this one to Joyce fans and people who like strong details. This book kept my interest from beginning to end and I would consider picking up another book by this author in the future, once I've taken a mental break and read some "fluff," just saying.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Let the Great World Spin.

Quotes Kate Liked

Colum McCann
“Some people think love is the end of the road, and if you're lucky enough to find it, you stay there. Other people say it just becomes a cliff you drive off, but most people who've been around awhile know it's just a thing that changes day by day, and depending on how much you fight for it, you get it, or you hold on to it, or you lose it, but sometimes it's never even there in the first place.”

Colum McCann
“The world spins. We stumble on. It is enough.”

Colum McCann
“The thing about love is that we come alive in bodies not our own.”

Colum McCann
“Literature can remind us that not all life is already written down: there are still so many stories to be told.”

Colum McCann
“I gave them all the truth and none of the honesty.”

Colum McCann
“The repeated lies become history, but they don't necessarily become the truth.”

Colum McCann
“People are good or half good or a quarter good, and it changes all the time- but even on the best day nobody's perfect.”

Colum McCann
“He might have been naive, but he didn't care; he said he's rather die with his heart on his sleeve than end up another cynic.”

03/23/2012 page 73
19.0% "I am enjoying the descriptiveness of the author's use of language on the page. It's lovely."
03/27/2012 page 115
31.0% "A Fear of Love"
03/30/2012 page 175
47.0% "Everything had purpose,signal, meaning."
04/05/2012 page 245
65.0% "This book is taking forever to read. Not saying it's bad, it's not, it's just that I want to read and digest every word on the page..."
04/10/2012 page 322
86.0% "I am finally almost to the end of this one."

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Cindy (new) - added it

Cindy Thanks for this review - I started this book on my e-reader some time ago, and gave it up, though I'm fascinated by Phillippe Petit and his tightrope walk between the towers. You've inspired me to put this back on my reading list!

Kate Oh, I'm so glad to hear that Cindy! I totally think it would be worth your time. My favorite character was Tillie (but her story doesn't come until closer to the end) so enjoy the beauty of the prose, take your time, and let me know how it was for you when you have finished.