Jessika's Reviews > Soulless

Soulless by Gail Carriger

Jan 12, 2012

bookshelves: series, favorites, fiction, own, historical-fantasy, nook, steampunk, paranormal
Read from January 05 to 11, 2012 — I own a copy

LORD MACCON--how I love thee, let me count the ways!

Now that I've gotten that out of the way, I will say that if this book is any indication of how my 2012 reading years is going to be--I'm going to have an awesome year.

There were so many things I loved about this book. First of all, Gail Carriger builds a phenomenally well-thought out supernatural world that parallels Victorian England. She really covers all her bases. This supernatural world has rules and structure--it puts other vampire/werewolf stories to shame. *ahem*

Her writing itself was a lot of fun to read, as well. Imagine Jane Austen with a bit of a modern twist. Gail's writing took a good story and gave it substance. This is, by no means, a serious book, but at no point did I feel like I was reading fluff. She really blended genres well, too. There was a little bit of everything here: historical fantasy, paranormal, steampunk, horror, suspense, romance. This being my first foray into the steampunk genre, I was pleasantly surprised, and I'll definitely be looking for more from the genre.

As if all that weren't enough, Soulless has an unforgettable cast of characters. Alexia, of course, is totally kickbutt. She is a beacon of Victorian propriety and decorum, but she is also completely independent and definitely not afraid to speak her mind. I loved that she would rather be alone and be considered a spinster than settle for someone with half her wit or someone who wouldn't view her as an equal. Lord Akeldama was another favorite character of mine--freakin' fabulous. Gotta give some props to Professor Lyall. I loved that at times it was like he was the only character acting with a level head. And Lord Maccon? Do I even need to go there? Totally hot. Totally Scottish. And totally perfect for Alexia. (And me, but that's besides the point). I'm telling you, I could see the steam rising from some of those pages! It probably didn't help that I was picturing him as Jamie Dornan, aka Sheriff Graham from Once Upon a Time. Gail Carriger even does her villians well. I hated them all with a deep burning hatred, when it was Alexia's mom or the mysterious shadow man or the creepy wax man. That's when you know you have a good author on your hands.

If you want a book that will make you laugh, make you cry, tug on your heartstrings or make you fan yourself from all the steam, you will find it here in Gail Carriger's Soulless. I can't wait to start Changeless!
4 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Soulless.

01/06/2012 page 63
01/07/2012 page 119
32.0% "Well, hellllooo Lord Maccon!!!"
01/11/2012 page 298
80.0% "(Chapter 13) OH MY LORD MACCON. I'm in love."
show 1 hidden update…

Kathryn I loved this one, too! Great review. I hope you continue to love the series. There are several books out now. I read the sequel and wasn't quite as fond of it, but it did still have some great moments.

Becky Oh yes Lord Maccon.....I just may havre to pull #2 off the shelf!!

JG (The Introverted Reader) Oh, Lord Maccon. *sigh* Total hottie.

I'm glad you liked it! This is such a fun series! I need to get to #4 soon.

Shelli LOVED it!