Natalie Wickham's Reviews > The Knowledge of the Holy

The Knowledge of the Holy by A.W. Tozer

Oct 21, 10

bookshelves: christian-living, theology
Read in September, 2010

This is a brief, but classic, work that I read in preparation for a Bible study in which I was involved this fall. There are 23 chapters, each only several pages long, that expound on some of the many attributes and aspects of God’s nature. A statement in the preface encapsulates nicely why it is so critical to study God: “It is impossible to keep our moral practices sound and our inward attitudes right while our idea of God is erroneous or inadequate.” In the first chapter, Tozer adds, “A right conception of God is basic not only to systematic theology but to practical Christian living as well.”

I found each chapter to be insightful, uplifting, and thought-provoking. The far-reaching implications of learning more about God – through the combined study of this book and Scripture – compel me to think that one would do well to engage solely in the study of God for the remainder of this life. It is, of course, an inexhaustible study. And I have personally experienced the rich transformation that has been effected in my life as a result of what I have learned thus far. Another word from Tozer toward this end, “For the Scriptures not only teach truth, they show also its uses for mankind. The inspired writers were men of like passion with us, dwelling in the midst of life. What they learned about God became to them a sword, a shield, a hammer; it became their life motivation, their good hope, and their confident expectation. From the objective facts of theology their hearts made how many thousand joyous deductions and personal applications!”
2 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Knowledge of the Holy.