Tracey-Lee's Reviews > Deafening

Deafening by Frances Itani

Oct 24, 10

bookshelves: fiction
Read from October 21 to 24, 2010

I absolutely loved this book. I didn't want it to end. Definitely one of my all time favorites and one I will read again, which I rarely ever do.

Frances has done such a beautiful job of creating a family you can't help but fall in love with. Rarely have I read a book where I loved so many of the characters so much that I wanted to know their own stories too, individually!

I found the perspective of a deaf woman and other deaf characters, fascinating. So much so I actually stopped part of the way through the book and Googled the school and the old newspaper articles. Very well done, and I loved that it was all so real and never so bleak as to feel hopeless.

Frances brought me into the hell that was WWI and it broke my heart. I think the best compliment I can pay is that she was able to make me fully understand and feel what it may well have been like to be both a soldier in the trenches, and a family member waiting breathlessly, in limbo, back at home in Canada. Beautifully balanced, riveting, and thought provoking.

Another wonderful book about trench warfare is Three Day Road; I highly recommend it.

Thank you Frances Itani for writing this masterpiece. I've nominated it as my choice for the 2011 Canada Reads. What more can I say? Read Deafening, it is an absolute treasure.

2 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Deafening.