Nenette's Reviews > Pride and Prejudice

Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen

Mar 05, 11

Read from February 21 to 28, 2011

It is said that a good work of fiction represents the ways and manners of the people during the period when it was written. Being the case, I have a number of observations:

1. The conversations feel that the parties involved are having an oratorical debate. It was an art in itself. Obviously, nobody speaks this way anymore. The language was so lyrical, very personally addressed, either face to face or through a proper letter.

2. It was a time when ladies were expected (as dictated by good manners, decorum and propriety) to have knowledge of the arts and music. In contrast to the present time, parents and elders lovingly cultivate/develop the natural talents of their children. For those with no natural inclination, it is openly accepted as such, and never forced. At least this is what I have observed in general.

3. It is a good thing that women of the present time share an equal footing with men (at least in many parts of the world), that they are not just relegated to marriage when they become of age. Imagine being set for marriage the moment a girl turns 16, with the mother almost in panic if her daughter is not engaged by the time she’s twenty!

4. What a closed and judgmental society it was during that time. The elopement of one daughter to an “undeserving” man ruined not only her reputation but that of her whole family as well, in the process making her other sisters almost unfit for marriage.

5. Fifty miles of good road equals half a day’s journey by carriage! Thank God for the automobile!

I enjoyed this novel a lot, though it took some time for me to read because of the lyrical prose, which I am not so used to. Just the same, lyrical prose and all, it brought about the same excited feelings as when I read modern chick-lit fiction. I would have rated this a complete 5-star if not for the many typos in the Kindle edition.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Kwesi 章英狮 Ayay, I agreed but I never enjoyed reading Pride and Prejudice but I'll give it another try this year. Emma's the best!

Nenette Yup! Emma is in my to-read. :)

Joselito Honestly and Brilliantly excellent review. Made me recall my ballet and piano lessons when I was a boy.

Nenette Joselito wrote: "excellent review. Made me recall my ballet and piano lessons when I was a boy."

Were you forced to take those lessons? :)

Joselito Honestly and Brilliantly aye, my life was shite then. Och!

Kwesi 章英狮 Funny, oops.