Cindy's Reviews > The Lost Language of Cranes

The Lost Language of Cranes by David Leavitt

Dec 03, 10

bookshelves: 1001-books, book-club, gender-or-sexuality-issues
Read from November 27 to December 03, 2010

A story of family and friends coming to grips with who they are and redefining their lives in the process.

These have to be some of the most real, vivid characters I've ever encountered in a novel. Really incredible. So why didn't I give the book 5-stars? I just wasn't compelled or all that interested in the story until about 2/3 of the way through the book.

If you love great, interesting, complex and evolving characters, this is the book for you. If you need a bit more plot, maybe not.

I also wonder if some of my inability to latch-on to the story was that it was set in Manhattan? I've always found the ways of New York life to be foreign, and I never quite 'get' it.

I really loved how the book captured the mid-eighties, like a little time-capsule. There were quite a few pop-culture references, which was nostalgic. I was also fascinated by the discussions of AIDS and how it was impacting the gay community in those early days.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Lost Language of Cranes.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Marieke (new) - added it

Marieke DC is closer to NY than LA. i might "get" it. haha. :D

Cindy The whole "going condo", co-ops, the novelty of a car, teensy studio apartments, eating out every night, and some other atmospheric things I can't quite put my finger on.