Jennifer's Reviews > Quest for Merlin's Map

Quest for Merlin's Map by W.C. Peever

Nov 15, 10

Read from October 30 to November 02, 2010

The Jumper Chronicles is a thrilling story about a young boy named Charlie and his best friend Bailey. Their fathers disappeared when they were both very young and haven't been seen since. They have bonded as much as two friends could, each watching the others back over the years. As they each turn twelve, they find themselves at Thornfield Academy. Thornfield Academy is a place for the magically gifted, where they will find out what exactly their gift is and how to harness it's power. Soon they are thrust into a war against magical foes that will stop at nothing to bring back the Gods. Charlie is the key to it all. Destiny awaits.

In a fantasy novel, world building is a key element that must be planned and strategically executed to put the reader in the mix alongside the characters and Peever has done just that. The Thornfield Academy is a fantastic magical place. From the classes they attend to the Trials of Tribulation, you are drawn to its magic. The Trials were especially intriguing as Charlie was tested and found to be extremely important to the Order. There is much to imagine in the nine worlds that have been created by the Gods.

The array of magical creatures seems endless with shape-shifters, Seers, Elementalists, Telecons, Guardians, Influencearians and, of course, Jumpers. Readers who enjoy the paranormal and fantasy genres will not be disappointed. Each character brings a depth to the story that livens up the plot. Charlie, Bailey and Mick hold their own amongst a host of experienced magical beings. Lord Grayson is the Dumbledore of The Jumper Chronicles and his role is much the same as well, adding flavor to the story and the castle. My favorite character is Joelle, the shape shifting cat in the library. She is definitely a ball of energy; quite fiesty as well.

I anxiously awaited the arrival of The Jumper Chronicles after reading the summary. It exuded qualities that make fantasy novels come to life. My assumptions were correct. After receiving it, I dove into an adventure that I didn't want to end. I was thrilled, enchanted and mesmerized by the characters and the worlds that they lived in. The Jumper Chronicles is a fine display of true fantasy, providing an adventure like that of "Harry Potter" and "The Magicians." I'm looking forward to the next installment "The Path of the Templar" due out in 2012.

For more information on author W.C. Peever and The Jumper Chronicles check out his website here.

Peever also has an awesome contest going on for budding writers ages 11-18. The contest is simple.
Read the Jumper Chronicles and write the first chapter of the second book in the series. He will publish the winners chapter alongside his own when the book is published. For more details go here.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Quest for Merlin's Map.

10/31/2010 page 30
10/31/2010 page 100
34.0% "Exciting, fun, and interesting. Love the characters. It reminds me of both Harry Potter and The Magicians."