Jennifer D. Munro's Reviews > Lift

Lift by Kelly Corrigan

Oct 21, 2010

it was ok
Read in October, 2010

I feel bad giving such a low score for this book, because she is likely a lovely person and a fine writer, but this "love letter" reads more like an "apology letter to me," from an obviously compassionate, caring, attentive, intelligent, loving mother who has nothing whatsoever to apologize for. She feels horrible that she stopped breast-feeding too soon, she talks about her "obvious and hidden limitations" and about "possibly wrecking" her daughters, and I think this culture of mothers beating up on themselves for not being perfect has got to stop. If we judge ourselves as mothers that harshly, then we also judge other mothers harshly. I will tell you this in my brief experience as a foster-to-adopt mother: the truly bad mothers who have a lot to apologize for are NOT apologizing.
Secondly, I had a lot of trouble accepting her statement that she would rather her daughters have cancer than infertility. Perhaps she means that she would rather her daughters, like her, have battled cancer and survived than have experienced infertility? Cancer can be a fatal disease. Infertility is not fatal. And there are other ways to parent.
Third, a book this size for seventeen bucks???
Fourth, I had trouble with some of her assertions, such as that despite knowing the importance of families sitting down together to dinner every night, that she's a terrible cook, so she can't do that. What, has she never heard of Trader Joe's? Canned spaghetti sauce? I have never been a worse cook since I became a mother, but the kid doesn't care! Again, I think her expectations on herself are too high. The kids aren't expecting gourmet. Pizza on an English muffin doesn't matter, but the family sitting down together does.
Such an odd little book.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Lift.

04/23/2016 marked as: read