Lily's Reviews > Pride and Prejudice

May 17, 07

bookshelves: high-school-english-class
Recommended for: Literary fools
Read in January, 1998

Oh man, another book from 11th grade english class. It is no secret that the English teacher, Ms. Bennett, harbored a fantasy that she was one of the Bennett sisters from this novel. She liked to read portions of the story in her best English accent. I should add that Ms. Bennett was rumored to have a bottle of booze stored in her desk. Ms. Bennett would also be considered an old maid who lived in her home with her giant poodle Roxanne who was often described as her best friend. Don't get me wrong, I loved Ms. Bennett. She liked to read us literature in her best old english accent, which meant that she sounded like the Swedish chef from the Muppets. In her class we read interesting books and we watched a ton of movie adaptations...including the BBC Colin Firth version of this book...which is like 9 hours of movie....imagine two weeks of watching movies in English class! Glorious! Except it was after lunch, and sitting in a darkened classroom after lunch is a recipe for nap time. What do you do? You wear a hooded sweatshirt to class and put up the hood so the teacher can't see that your eyes are closed and you doze away!
This is the story of Elizabeth Bennett, the oldest sister in a family of girls, who has supposedly passed marriage years. She meets a certain Mr. Darcy, who she can't stand, yet is somewhat drawn to him. Will they ever get together? Will her freakish sisters embarrass the entire family? Why is Mr. Darcy such an ass? Find out by reading the book!
Likeflag

message 1: by Joe (new)

Joe Mary is the freakish sister, but Lydia is "the biggest b-word in all of literary history!" Capital, capital!!!

Lily Joe my good man, you are spot on!