The Library Lady's Reviews > It's a Book

It's a Book by Lane Smith

I have no personal problem with the word "jackass", but why here? Is it for shock value for the "clean book" crowd?

No matter his reasons, in doing so Lane Smith has doomed this book. But that's not necessarily a bad thing, because the whole concept here is aimed far more at tweens than tiny tots anyway. Unfortunately most tweens don't head for the picture book section because they are too busy reading crap so bad it shouldn't be called a book stuff like "Twilight" anyway,the tiny tots' mommies will recoil at the "bad" word (which THEIR kids won't get)and the same crowd that reeled at the use of word "scrotum"(scrotum, scrotum, SCROTUM!) will not want this on school library shelves.

Happily, this book has got its own obsolescence built right in. As technology moves on,the current stuff mentioned here will doubtlessly become as dated as,for example, Henry Huggins' coonskin cap is for today's readers,and the book will end up in the discard bin. Other picture books that have more to say to kids of today and tomorrow WILL be there, I'm sure. You can have your Nook or your Kindle or your (feh)IPad, but picture books will remain if for none other than purely tactile reasons.

Meanwhile I've wasted taxpayer money (and I pay taxes in this town) on this piece of mishegosse. And a lot of book reviewers need to stop wasting time and print space in the trade publications and start telling us about stuff like this so we can place or not place book orders accordingly!
2 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read It's a Book.

message 1: by Patricia (new)

Patricia Storms Ha ha. Now I don't feel so bad. I loved the illustrations, but the story...meh.

message 2: by Maggie (new)

Maggie Shortly after I saw this review in my email, my MIL put up a blog post referencing a glowing review of this book and claiming dibs on buying it for my kid for her upcoming birthday. She even used the jackass illustration in the blog post (which I can't share because it's private).

So, I guess I'll be checking it out. :)

The Library Lady For Miss M, it's fine. Though I think your MIL could find many other better books that she might treasure as an adult, the way I do the "Winnie the Pooh" my favorite aunt gave me!