Joshua's Reviews > The Unnatural Inquirer

The Unnatural Inquirer by Simon R. Green

Jan 16, 2008

bookshelves: urban-fantasy
Recommended for: Anyone into the oddity of city life.
Read in January, 2008

This is book 8 in Simon R. Green's Nightside series and like the rest of the Nightside books, you will have to have read them in order to understand what is going on. I have always enjoyed the books, since they delve into dark fantasy and pulp. All of Green's Nightside books feel like a walk through a modern representation of Lovecraft without all the verbose descriptions that Lovecraft was always so fond of. The only problem I've ever had with Green's Nightside books is that they can get a bit repetitive. He reiterates what happens in previous books as if trying to make each new book a jumping on point for new readers. This is a problem because it is impossible to understand everything that is going on unless you have read the books in order, so I think that Green's describing of past events over and over in each consecutive book unnecessary.
The Unnatural Inquirer is the story of what would happen if someone caught a look into the afterlife on a dvd? Is some knowledge too much and are some things really worth knowing? Would the testing of the faiths of man be challenged and how would one act with the knowledge that everything he once believed was a lie?
I have always enjoyed the odd bunch of characters in Green's books, from walking gods, to the church of Elvis, to queens and kings of alternate worlds and evil King Arthur's.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Unnatural Inquirer.