Rachel's Reviews > Clockwork Angel

Clockwork Angel by Cassandra Clare

Jul 10, 14

bookshelves: fantasy, young-adult
Read from October 21 to 25, 2010 — I own a copy

Oh, here we go with the mixed feelings.

First: I had fun reading this book.

Second: It's basically the exact same story with the exact same characters as CC's Mortal Instruments trilogy. Except it's a steampunk Victorian London instead of modern-day New York. Also, the characters have different names.

Third, which has basically nothing to do with the actual book: I didn't realize the extent of the plagiarism debacle regarding CC until I was halfway through Clockwork Angel. I'd first heard that she used large chunks of her Draco Trilogy in TMI... which, while I find that lazy, isn't something I'm willing to condemn. Her words are her words, right?

But then I found out that (for her fanfiction) she lifted stuff wholesale from authors that I truly adore. The whole sordid tale can be read here: http://www.journalfen.net/community/b...

The gist of it is: though I enjoyed reading this fluffy little bit of shallow fiction, I feel dirty for supporting a woman who wasn't ashamed of outright plagiarism. I can only hope that she only used her own words in her published work.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Clockwork Angel.

10/21/2010 page 152