Cass - Words on Paper's Reviews > Daughter of Smoke & Bone

Daughter of Smoke & Bone by Laini Taylor

Jul 29, 2012

bookshelves: 2011-release, bought, favourites, read-2012, review-copy, romance-overload
Read in July, 2012

Funny thing happened today. My PRE-ORDER of this book (US PB) arrived at the same time that a review copy of the new UK PB arrived! Now if only I can get my hands on the UK old PB cover and then I can call myself a DoSaB book collector.

Looking at the covers side by side, I've got to say I'm liking the UK PB version more and more. I like that it's getting that crossover appeal to another market, and the cover looks relevant to the story while also being subtle and pretty in its own right. I'm right in the middle of exam period but right afterwards this will be my go-to next book to read! It's been a long time coming.

By the way, US PB has a preview of Book 2 and UK PB has a discussion question thing for reading groups at the back. I love reading extras! :)

Edit: OMG this book is so good! The writing is just phenomenal. Taylor makes it so easy for even a lazy reader like me to just cosy right up into the story. I'm just loving this!

4.5/5

What did I just read? It's kind of strange to have read something so completely bizarre but it made sense to me. Laini Taylor masterfully crafts this world Elsewhere that is so vividly imagined that it's transporting. It is near impossible not to lose yourself once you start this book. Everything is gripping, everything is real and new and exciting - Taylor is just a genius. I have no words. I am so glad that I did end up reading this book, thanks to some fellow bloggers.

Oh! Just... wow.

I'm going to have to step back and let my thoughts rattle around in my head for a couple of days before I can write my review. I'm so awed by this book, but there were some parts that I simply can't just cast aside:

* The insta-love. Oh this book is LOADED with it! Not only that, but also baseless love that stems only from a mutual physical attraction from one another. I wasn't totally swept away by it, simply because there was nothing REAL, I felt, that grounded the romance. Perhaps that's the point. It's just not to my taste.

* Karou is this supremely mysterious and edgey heroine at the beginning, but I felt like SHE gets lost when we learn more of her past. I actually really liked the idea around why she's such an unknown . . . I just feel like her being becomes shadowed when we learn her truth. Kind of hard to explain, really.

* The ending. Taylor really throws us so much crap in the last 30-50 pages that we're not left with any time to process what we're learning - rather we're just forced to keep reading because it's impossible to put down once we're finally at the point of the reveals. We're also given this huge build-up and this massive romance arc, only to have it kind of fall apart. Maybe once I've read the second book I'll understand. At the moment, however, I am not pleased.

* Karou and Akiva. Too perfect! Again, that's my personal qualm in books ~ and perhaps this point should be excused since they aren't human beings, therefore they need not be flawed. It still doesn't help me feel compassion for them.

On the other hand, there was so much I loved about this book:

* Zuzana, full stop. I also love the friendship between her and Karou. It felt real to me. She's also got her own little arcs going on, including a romance arc.

* The mythological aspects. Although I don't know the reality of any of it, I can at least say that Taylor's spin on things was interesting and held my attention. I'm hoping that in the next books she ties in more of the war - particularly WHY. Just because is not enough.

* The WRITING!

* Atmospheric. We have two alternate realities to step into with this book: Prague, and Elsewhere. Both so different and yet both mystical, magical, entrancing.

* The exploration of family and belonging. This book? Full of it.

* The mystery.

Although I think this book suffers a little from having been swallowed up by an all-encompassing romance, this book is simply one that cannot be missed! Book 2, I am waiting.
1 like · flag

Quotes Cass - Liked

Laini Taylor
“She craved a presence beside her, solid. Fingertips light at the nape of her neck and a voice meeting hers in the dark. Someone who would wait with an umbrella to walk her home in the rain, and smile like sunshine when he saw her coming. Who would dance with her on her balcony, keep his promises and know her secrets, and make a tiny world wherever he was, with just her and his arms and his whisper and her trust.”
tags: love

Laini Taylor
“Wishes are false. Hope is true. Hope makes its own magic.”

Laini Taylor
“It's not like there's a law against flying."

"Yes there is. The law of gravity.”

“Love is a luxury."
"No. Love is an element."
An element. Like air to breathe, earth to stand on.”
Laini Taylor, Daughter of Smoke & Bone

Shirley LOL I got mine from Big W for like $12!

Cass -  Words on Paper WHOA! They have it at Big W?! What cover is it? Tell me all the details!

I was going to wait for the US paperback to release so I could get it cheaper. :/

Cass -  Words on Paper Ah, is it the feathery UK paperback? Hmm...I'll have a think about it. Thanks for letting me know!

Shirley No probs:) I Think I was lucky that day, since it was randomly placed amongst a whole lot of other books....but yes, I think Big W does sell it! Hahaa, you sound so excited! It's-according to goodreads- the UK 'hardcover' BUT it's in paperback. ( the pretty, metallic blue one! Sooo gorgeous<3) Not to burst your bubble, but I never saw it again at big w...

Cass -  Words on Paper Well, after looking at several GR reviews and also prices around, I decided I'm still going to wait until the cheaper paperback comes out, so that it'll cost <$10. Let me know what you think of it though!

Shirley I don't think I could wait that long if I was you! hmm..I really must learn to exert some self control :P I have no idea when I'm even going to start it :/ so many other books to read..*sigh*

Cass -  Words on Paper Well, I've already got like 150~ books on my TBR pile, so I'm really holding out for books I'm REALLY excited about. With this book, it's just the hype and the buzz that's going around. So with that said, I can wait.

That won't stop me from entering giveaways. ;) Hahaha! If I lived in the US ... man. I don't know how I'd be able to control myself, since they've got Amazon and B&N and library sales and all that. Oh, and BEA. And they constantly get review copies. I'm ALREADY swimming in the stuff!