Preston Lee's Reviews > David and the Phoenix

David and the Phoenix by Edward Ormondroyd

M 50x66
Oct 20, 10

Read from October 13 to 17, 2010 — I own a copy, read count: 1

Yes, I realize this is in the "childrens" category. And yes, I'm a 29-year-old male. But I do periodically like to venture out of my comfort zone in semi-random directions in hopes of stumbling upon little-known treasure.

From purely an adult perspective, David and the Phoenix is a straightforward adventure story between a boy and a bird that is both a quick and easy read. I have to dock several points, unfortunately, as:

(1) The Kindle 3G version, at least, does NOT contain the illustrations. Illustrations are a large part of the fun of fantasy adventure books like this, and whatever the issue is with Kindle illustrations needs to be rectified before any other Kindle owner should consider purchasing this title.
(2) The Phoenix is kind of... a jerk, and I just didn't care for his boastfulness. I emoted no sense of pity nor empathy for his situation and never really cared about either of the main characters.

Overall: 3 of 5

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read David and the Phoenix.

message 1: by Christopher (new) - added it

Christopher Boyette Your review is a shame I grew up loving this book very much it almost single handily got me to read