Indigo's Reviews > Mark of the Demon

Mark of the Demon by Diana Rowland

Oct 24, 10

bookshelves: demons, girl-power, sex, supernatural-detective
Read from October 20 to 24, 2010

** spoiler alert ** Aside from the peeves mentioned in the updates, I'm very pleased.

The supernatural vs. honest police work was balanced nicely -- and sensibly. Kara didn't want to summon again because she wasn't sure what she'd screwed up to end up with a Big Gun demon in her circle and until she was completely certain sure that she hadn't, she wasn't summoning again even though the case appeared to have arcane connections that summoning would have probably made easier to solve. Good avoidance of plot breakage there.

The police procedural comes from the author's own real life experiences, which is why it rings so true. There were a couple of scenes I had to back up from because of how clearly (and gorily) described they were.

The romance that showed up started off with that trope that annoyed me, but it grew slowly. They have not even so much as kissed, to say nothing of gone to bed yet.

Did I guess the big bad?: Yes, but he was not my FIRST guess. My first guess was the one the author intended to be my first guess, and although I'm dismayed to say I guessed it before Kara did, we were both wrong -- for all the good it did the first guess.

Did I guess that the one family member Kara had left would be used?: Yes. And I guessed it way before Kara did again. But still; this is a first book, and I have been reading this genre for years. There are certain landmarks the trope holds to.

I still considered it a very enjoyable read, and look forward to seeing more of Kara, Ryan, Zack and Rhyzkahl in the next book. In fact I'mm ago find Ms. Rowland's goodreads page and become a fan now.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Mark of the Demon.

10/21/2010 page 204
55.0% "the "they hate each other" trope is in effect, which I'm pretty annoyed with and tired of. Can we have a love interest who doesn't start out as an arrogant, swaggering, annoying, condescending prick which only hides the kind, sweet, true-hearted modern day prince charming he really is underneath? Please?"
10/24/2010 page 282
76.0% ""Do you have a /problem/ with my cheese?" That one line cracked me up enough to come here and status update (mainly because I too buy cheese in blocks of over a pound). The nerd line a few pages earlier kind of bugged me, but I guess even though the heroine is in the realm of what is considered sci-fi, in an Urban Fantasy, women still don't think sci-fi is cool and look down their noses at nerd stuff. Hm."
10/24/2010 page 285
77.0% "Also tired of the trope that these strong UF Heroines have rape or sexual molestation in their pasts. But on the other hand, worried it's something the writers are working out in fiction that they've lived through. Worriesome."

message 1: by Skjam! (new)

Skjam! This is one of the nicer things about "Kimi ni Todoke", that the boy our heroine likes is a really swell guy to begin with (a few flaws, but being a jerk ain't one of them.)