Nikyta *Miss Forgetful*'s Reviews > Spoils of War

Spoils of War by Kari Gregg

This was a dark read, slightly disturbing at the beginning but ending up as a sweet romance. Micah’s ignorance of who he actually is and what he goes through in his adolescent years is extremely sad. It was made all the better when he was finally rescued by Eli and I was a little shocked when it came to the little twist at the end with Micah actually being Eli’s master.

I really enjoyed this book, however, I would have liked to have read more about Micah’s homecoming. How he finally meets his father after over a decade of being held hostage, how he copes with the knowledge he’s Eli’s master and whether he recuperates from being mute for so long. As it is, I felt the book was incomplete. I’m hoping there will be a sequel so we can find out all about Micah’s new life in Alekia and if he has been able to settle in nicely. Nevertheless, I still recommend it to anyone who’s looking for a good, dark, short story about a broken boy and how he finally returns home.

For spoilers go here.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Spoils of War.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kari (new) - added it

Kari Gregg Glad you liked it, Nikyta! Re wanting more...In my head, I always saw this story as existing in 2 distinct stages: the trauma of Micah's rescue (at least from Micah's perspective, it's traumatic) and his turmoil once he reaches home. In one part, Micah confronts his freedom; in the other, he struggles with what to do with that freedom -- who he was, who he is and who he's now free to become.

So that's why Spoils of War is written as it is. To me, the stages of Micah's journey were too distinct to shove into the same book.

I've talked to my editor -- yes, there will be a sequel, if that helps at all. ;-)

Nikyta *Miss Forgetful* Oh, yes. I'm eagerly awaiting it! Have you already started writing it? And will we get to see more of Micah's unknown brothers and Father?

message 3: by Kari (new) - added it

Kari Gregg Nikyta wrote: "Oh, yes. I'm eagerly awaiting it! Have you already started writing it? And will we get to see more of Micah's unknown brothers and Father?"

Yes, you'll see more of Micah's family, particularly his father. I've already plotted out the sequel so I know what happens when and how the characters grow, but haven't started the actual book beyond the prelims. I can be incredibly quick, though, when a storyworld fascinates me like this one does. I wrote SoW, start to finish, in 3 weeks. No kidding. LOL.

Nikyta *Miss Forgetful* Lol, wow, that's fast! I'm hoping the sequel goes by just as quick. :D

message 5: by Ery (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ery Cannot wait for the sequel - glad to hear there will be one!

Nikyta *Miss Forgetful* Me too :) has there been word on when it'll come out?