Curmudgeon66's Reviews > The Monuments Men: Allied Heroes, Nazi Thieves, and the Greatest Treasure Hunt in History

The Monuments Men by Robert M. Edsel

Oct 20, 10

Read in October, 2010

I heard the Author on Relevant Radio's Morning Air show. http://www.relevantradio.com/ It sounded good, so when I spotted this at the local B&N I bought it.

Starts off a little slow, but sort of grows on one. I've read all kinds of histories of WWII, and I knew that there had been some kind of organization that did something with art works, but I never before knew any details.

It was interesting to get to know a little bit more about some of the individuals involved, although I think the author could have skipped some of their pre-war credentials and spent more time explaining more about how they did their work, and how the various art works were restored and returned to their correct owners. What happened if the original owners had been killed in the Holocaust?

The book mentions that the MFAA was in Europe for years after the end of the war, it would be great to learn a bit more of the story after mid 1945.

The bios as the end saying what happened to the key individuals was quite interesting.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Monuments Men.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Heather (new) - added it

Heather so was this the inspiration for the Kelly's Heroes movie??