Britta's Reviews > I am Charlotte Simmons

I am Charlotte Simmons by Tom Wolfe

Jan 16, 08

Read in February, 2008

This one came highly recommended from many different people, but I was not impressed. The first Tom Wolfe book that I picked up was The Electric Kool-Aid Acid Test and I was blown away....part of it being that the introduction of LSD to America in the 60s is bound to be interesting. Charlotte didn't do if for me. The book seemed forced and I was little entertained. Wolfe didn't need 700+ pages to end up where he did. I know I am in the minority in my opinion on this one, but it wasn't for me.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read I am Charlotte Simmons.

message 1: by Missy (new) - added it

Missy Since your Mom liked this, I picked up Bonfire of the Vanities at a bar for $1. It was good, well worth the $1!

message 2: by Chris (new)

Chris as long as i made the other comments, i'll make one here too. yeah, that's pretty much what i thought. i don't really think wolfe's all that good. i didnt' want to say it about the acid test thing, but i kinda thought that his descriptions of keesey were not only goofy/contrived, they verged on a sexualized hero worship of a historical character who is much more quickly and fairly delt with in Thompson's stuff. that same kinda strangely excitable meandering is what i got from this. but hey, who am i to speak--too much anyway. i stopped round 300pages. i just think he was kinda a goofball who's excitement was more palpable than his writing was clear.