Rod Hilton's Reviews > Why We Make Mistakes: How We Look Without Seeing, Forget Things in Seconds, and Are All Pretty Sure We Are Way Above Average

Why We Make Mistakes by Joseph T. Hallinan

Oct 20, 2010

liked it
bookshelves: audiobooks, science
Read from October 20, 2010 to January 06, 2011

"Why We Make Mistakes" is a light read, light on science and long on anecdote, but interesting nonetheless. It's educational, but nothing groundbreaking. Similar books about the mind and its tendency to make errors are more detailed and more thorough in their analysis, but as far as an easy read for an airplane or a bus trip, Joseph Hallinan's book does just fine.

There was some interesting material about the differences between men and women, and the types of mistakes each gender is more likely to make. I hadn't seen a lot of that content in other books, and I found it pretty enlightening. The chapter on constraints was also interesting, as it provided a "solution" of sorts to help human beings decrease their incidences of making errors.

Overall, this is a good, broad book on the subject, a 1000-foot view of this kind of material. It's well written and fun to read, but if you've read similar books in the past, it won't have much to offer.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Why We Make Mistakes.