Arlene's Reviews > Nightshade

Nightshade by Andrea Cremer

Nov 01, 10

bookshelves: paranormal, read-2010, weres-shifters, autographed, ya-paranormal, young-adult
Read from October 30 to November 01, 2010

Nightshade by Andrea Cremer is an explosive debut to what I feel is going to be a great series. I enjoyed this first installment quite a bit, as the characters are intriguing, the plot is unique and the pace of the story kept me turning the pages at a rapid pace to see where it would all eventually lead.

In this first installment, there were quite a few characters introduced as the two wolf groups, the Nightshades and Banes, prepare for a merge to become the Haldis pack. Calla is the alpha female of the Nightshade and in her pack she has Bryn, Ansel, Mason, and Fey. Ren, the alpha male for the Banes, is followed by Cosette, Neville, Sabine and Dax. Together, Calla and Ren will be united as one group to serve as Guardians to the Keepers. The groups are preparing for the inevitable merge, but plans begin to take a turn when a stranger comes to town and uncovers secrets and deceit that Calla isn’t able to easily ignore. Her feelings for Ren are compromised and she must make a decision and risk everything including her pack to follow her instincts and her growing feelings for Shay.

I liked the blend of old magic, paranormal lore, intrigue and strife that was infused in this story. The main character Calla was someone I could easily root for despite her flaws and questionable choices. Her feelings between Ren and Shay even confused me at times and I kept switching back and forth between who I thought was the better choice for her as I liked both characters quite a bit. Overall, there were a few flaws, but not enough to detract me from the storyline and keep me riveted the whole way through.

The only spoiler I will offer is that Nightshade does end with a significant cliffy, but so much happened in this book and there is quite a bit to process that I don’t feel on edge waiting for the next installment because I just might use this time to re-read the book, which I don't often do. I am eager to read Wolfsbane because the ending seemed appropriate and left me wanting more. Great installment that I will definitely continue with!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Nightshade.

10/31/2010 page 175

message 3: by Erin (new)

Erin Lucky lady!

message 4: by Stefanie (new) - added it

Stefanie JEALOUSSSSSSSSS

~Tina~ You got it SINGED? Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!

That's awesome hunny XD I'm gonna read this right after my HP books:)

Arlene @ Crystal, I cannot thank you enough!! So happy when I received it!! Thank you!

@ Nic, Erin, Stefanie and Tina. Thanks ladies! Very excited to read this book!. :)

message 7: by Kim (new) - rated it 2 stars

Kim I'm so happy for you! Congrats!

message 8: by Sarah (new) - added it

Sarah M Thats awesome Arlene! I saw Nightshade at the bookstore last night and I really want to get it but I have to wait till I get paid! It sounds like a good book!

Arlene Thanks ladies! I can't wait to read it. I hope you get it soon Sarah! :)

message 10: by Karen (new) - added it

Karen Wow! You are so lucky! Hope you enjoy it :)

Milly You won!!! How awesome is that!!! You are so, so lucky! Which contest did you win it from? I think I entered 3 to win this book and so far nothing yet! But, I'm still hopeful!

Arlene Thanks Slowest Bookworm!!

Milly, I'm actually the lucky friend of an avid book reader in Texas (ahem.... ahem... Crystal) that met the author and had her sign a book for me. Very awesome gift that I can't wait to read. I"m still squeeing over it. :)

Crystal LOL! You are too funny =p I am really glad that you liked it! You are always gifting me sooo many books that this was the least I could do =)

Milly Aww..sweet! You guys are both awesome! Sharing is caring!

Arlene LOL Milly! :)

message 16: by Kirsten (new) - added it

Kirsten Aww wish I could read this since I have it an everything... even started it! But I'm writing an essay and it's taking all day... and now all night... grrrrr.

message 17: by Kim (new) - rated it 2 stars

Kim Arlene, do you like it so far?

Arlene I really liked it...alot! I stayed up late last night to finish it. *whisper* I think I like it better than Shiver. Shhhh.... don't tell. ;)

~Tina~ Great Review! I've already started this and know that it'll be an all nighter. Can't put it down!

Arlene Oh good! I'm glad you like it too Tina. I got to a point where I was willing to forego sleep to see what happens. I stayed up past midnight to finish.

Crystal Great review =) I liked this one too. A couple of places mad me extremely mad, but it was still good =)

message 22: by Arlene (last edited Nov 01, 2010 09:38AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Arlene LOL, there were points where I could see myself get angry too, but for some reason I really really liked Calla, so I couldn't come to fault her.

I really liked Ren!! I have a thing about nicknames and he just knows how to use them where I don't feel the need to sing outloud that's not her name... that's not her name.. :P

~Tina~ Tehe! I like his nickname for her. It makes the cover makes sense at least:D

Arlene I know, huh!! Okay it took me a while to get the cover but then he kept using the name and I thought "ooohhh!! I get it!" Was I suppose to like Ren as much as I did? He was great IMO.

message 25: by ~Tina~ (last edited Nov 01, 2010 09:46AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

~Tina~ Ren is simply delicious. So far he's my pick. Don't get me wrong, I love both the boys but HAWT DAME Ren just drips sex all over the dame place!
I'm mad cause I know how this is gonna work out ~sigh~
I'll be done this by tonight!

message 26: by Arlene (last edited Nov 01, 2010 09:49AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Arlene Well if you know how it's going to end... then what Ren does at the end will have you lurves him even more. *sigh* I liked Shay alot too, but Ren was way better IMO. :) Have fun with the rest. You're gonna love it!

Jessica Great review Arlene! Glad you loved it!
Ren is so yummy! I didn't care much for Shay, though.

Jessica ~Tina~ wrote: "Ren is simply delicious. So far he's my pick. Don't get me wrong, I love both the boys but HAWT DAME Ren just drips sex all over the dame place!
I'm mad cause I know how this is gonna work out ~sig..."

We are on the wrong team again, Tina!

Arlene Thanks Jess!

Shay could have used a little more character development, but when he kept standing up to Ren and executed some risks here and there, I thought he was okay. The ending confused me about him, so I don't know exactly what I'm suppose to feel for him quite yet. ???

Jessica Yeah, I get your point. I liked him better towards the end, too. I'm just more for the bad boys so I'd rather see Calla end up with Ren. :( The ending was a bit confusing but I'm not confused about my feelings for Shay in general. I'm team Ren through and through :o)

I hope that there will be some improvements plotwise and concerning Shays character in the sequel.

Crystal Team Ren definitely! I lurve that alpha male stuff =p

Crystal Arlene wrote: "Thanks Jess!

I am wondering if Shay knows more than he is letting on??

Crystal Why is her hair purple on the cover?

Jessica Crystal wrote: "Team Ren definitely! I lurve that alpha male stuff =p"

Yay! *high five* for Team Ren :)

Hehe, I was wondering, too, about the cover. I've got no clue, though...

~Tina~ I'm gonna take a stab and say that the purple cover is to represent the actual flower called the Purple Calla Lily. It also represents royalty and symbolizes new beginnings and purity. So I'm gonna guess all the purple is Ren's Calla and the Lily is represents her nickname, tainted by blood, which is Shay;)

Jessica Ooooh, Tina! I'm impressed!

message 37: by Jen (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jen So glad you liked it! I'm sloooooowly getting through it. Stupid life is always getting in the way, whether it's work or trick-or-treaters!!!

message 38: by Kim (new) - rated it 2 stars

Kim ~Tina~ wrote: "Ren is simply delicious. So far he's my pick. Don't get me wrong, I love both the boys but HAWT DAME Ren just drips sex all over the dame place!
I'm mad cause I know how this is gonna work out ~sig..."

It finally happened. Tina said 'sex'.

*chuckles*

Great review Arlene, I kinda wish I read the entire book now.

message 39: by ~Tina~ (last edited Nov 01, 2010 02:12PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

~Tina~ Thanks Jess, I just adore that cover:)

@KIm- HEY! I say sex all the time. I just add a Y to it:P

message 40: by Kim (last edited Nov 01, 2010 02:10PM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

Kim Yaaaay, I made her say it twice in one evening *flails*

Oh, wait. You 'saw' sex all the time. Oh really. Is there a reason you stopped watching it?

~Tina~ I edited it. Brat! ~pinches cheeks HARD~

message 42: by Kim (new) - rated it 2 stars

Kim Aw, I'm sorry =(

*offers you lots of delicious cookies and ice cream*

Jessica He he he XD

Morgan F Cookies?

message 45: by Nic (new) - rated it 4 stars

Nic LOL Kim. Tina is going to get you one of these days :)

Great review Arlene. I'm thinking I might read this next. If you like than I should like it :)

~Tina~ OoooOOoo Cookies! Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Jessica Hahahaha! Great pic, Morgan ^^
I would definitely give you that cookie!

Kelly Cutest pic ever!