David's Reviews > Fade Away

M 50x66
Oct 20, 10

bookshelves: completed
Read in October, 2010

I have a good time with the Myron Bolitar novels. This particular offering was earlier in the series (the listing here shows it to be # 3) and obiously, to me, at least, Coben was honing his skills. He turns out a good mystery while offering the reader a little more in-depth view of the psychology of the hero, Myron.

This time around, an NBA signs Bolitar, who played in college and was in the NBA, but blew out his knee in the pre-season before ever getting to play. Now, Bolitar is expected to ride the pine (warm the bench) while he tries to pick up clues as he subtly searches for a missing basketball star- who is supposedly out with an injury, but in reality has turned up missing. Along the way, Bolitar deals with gangsters, team mates, towel boys, sports reporters, his own parents, and groupies. As a third string player he doesn't get to play, unless the team is miles ahead, which happens.

Coben does a great job showing the mentality of a player who is getting a second chance, even as he explores the mysterious whereabouts of the star player. The question is: Can Myron make a comeback and show himself to be valuable to the team before he finds the missing star? Is his place on the team really a cover or does he have a chance to build a new career? Which does he really care more about?

On top of that-- the missing player happens to be his chief rival! How does he feel about the guy.

Coben's mysterious "Batman-like" partner,Win, as usual, is there to pull Myron's fat out of the fire.

I don't think this one was as good as some of the others from this series that I have read. Coben plants a few twists and turns in there, and this particular mystery is a little muddled and convoluted... however, it is still a pretty good read and I enjoyed it-- primarily because it gave me a glimpse into the history of this character and broadened the character for me. Also, Win's antics are always fun and I liked how Win and Myron finally resolved this one.

But hang on--- While I complain about the lack of twists-- I have to note that there is one last final twist that is left hanging in the air-- on the very last page in the book. Just when you thought the story was over-- something else happens and the author cleverly leaves the reader to wonder where it went from there.

Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Fade Away.