Teena R.'s Reviews > Sunshine

2037756
Nov 19, 10

bookshelves: paranormal, dystopia, romantic
Read from October 20 to November 15, 2010

Currently at the end of Part 1. The premise is interesting. Both male leads are swoon-worthy (for now). But do we have to spend that much time reading Sunshine's repetitive thought on everything?

More of a 1.5 stars *sigh*

I'm feeling very bad rating Robin McKinley of the Blue Sword's (I love Harry and Corlath with all my heart and soul) a 1.5 stars but I'm just not into Sunshine at all.

Everything start out fine at the beginning then slowly going down the hill. Sunshine's looked like a spunky, practical heroine, then become a boring, guilt-ridden girl. The way she kept saying she's the Cinnamon roll queen annoyed me so bad. I also have a hard time believing she's a 25 yrs old woman. I think I'd be more lenient to her if she's just a 16 yrs old girl only discovering her family heritage but noooo. She knew it for year, can work the magic when she's little but still whining on this O-so-horrible magic burden. And the almost sex scene (supposedly the thing that made this an adult book) is so awkward.

Mel and Con, the two male leads also started out fine then McKinley just dropped Mel abruptly to the secondary character and raise Con to the Gary Stu level. Such a waste!

The explanation of the world and magic is also a problem. The info-dump is horrible, especially when it came from the first person narrative. I just can't suspension my disbelief long enough to believe a person actually think like a world history book all the time.

In my opinion, this book would be much better as a YA series. It will give the author more time to smooth out the worldbuilding and delve into characters and would also give Sunshine more benefit of the doubt.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Sunshine.

10/31/2010 page 215
53.0% "The end of Part 2. Should I quit? /sigh" 4 comments

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by apple (new)

apple totally agree! - -"

message 2: by apple (new)

apple I'm so sorry for inflicting this book upon you T^T could you someday possibly find it in your heart to forgive me? มี๊ๆ~

Teena R. I'm not blaming you. I'm blaming Neil Gaiman! For written such a blurb!

Sad thing is I really like McKinley's other work. My heart is crushed. T^T