Susan's Reviews > Mr. Darcy Takes a Wife: Pride and Prejudice Continues

Mr. Darcy Takes a Wife by Linda Berdoll

Jan 16, 2008

Read in January, 2008

I'm embarrassed to admit it--this was a totally enjoyable book. Unlike the yawn-inducing Mr. Knightly's Diary this took great liberties with the plot, taking off where the original leaves off.

First, this is not Jane Austen. This will never be Jane Austen, as Jane Austen is dead. Purists shouldn't be reading Austen fan fic to begin with.

That said, the author throws down a gauntlet in the forward with a quote from smack-talking Charlotte Bronte who writes that Austen can't write past the wedding, because she herself knew nothing about the physical pleasure that comes after. If you're rolling your eyes just reading this, don't bother with the book. If you're the sort of person who giggles and says "Aw snap, Charlotte!", then this is a fun ride.

The plot is lusty, to say the least. There's a lot of sex here--in quite a number of settings. The language at times is florid to the point of silly, especially the Regency-era sex slang. But one of my main complaints with Mr. Knightly's Diary is that it was a true-to-the-original retelling from a different point of view and exposed a re-imagined side of Knightly that was really unlikable. This shares none of the plot of the original, but is true to who Austen's characters were in the original. In this book, Elizabeth is Elizabeth, Darcy does what Darcy does, and Lydia behaves as we expect her to, etc. I would rather read more about characters I like than re-read a plot I already know.

I know this book has had TERRIBLE reviews on Goodreads, but I thought it was a fun page-turner with a surprising amount of integrity to Austen's original vision. Mock if you want; I can take it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Mr. Darcy Takes a Wife.

05/30/2016 marked as: read

message 1: by Ashley (new)

Ashley What a delightful review you've written here!

message 2: by Kim (new) - rated it 4 stars

Kim I totally agree with you. The characters were right in line and that made it enjoyable to me as well.

message 3: by Ayesha (new)

Ayesha Brown When I read what Charlotte said I said the exact same thing that you did "Oh snap!". I really am enjoying the characters more in this particular story because they seem to have grown past their initial personality flaws while staying true to the characters we grew to love.

Jayme Well said!

Meghan Rife So true! If yo love Jane Austen and only Jane Austen don't expect a book written some 200 years later to be Jane Austen. Also, news flash people, people had LOTS of sex at the time, but like -oh snap- Charlotte points out, Jane never got to experience that, so relax a little and read the book for what it is. No need to get your 'unmentionables' in a bunch.

message 6: by Qianhui (new) - added it

Qianhui Ma wonderful!I, too, loves this book. it completes my Pemberley dream and i really appreciate Linda for that.

message 7: by Isabelle (new) - added it

Isabelle I love your point about how people need to realize Jane Austen can't write a sequel because she's dead so don't expect others to write exactly like her. I personally want to read this book for more Mr. Darcy!