Lisa Vegan's Reviews > If You Decide To Go To The Moon

If You Decide To Go To The Moon by Faith McNulty

Oct 22, 10

bookshelves: groups-buddies, childrens, picture-books, non-fiction, science, reviewed
Recommended for: for learning some facts about the moon and earth too
Read on October 22, 2010

Wow, this one was all over the place for me.

I didn’t like the cover illustration or several of the other illustrations but adored many of them, including the first page (love the cats & dog when they appear!!!), the moon shots, the foldout page, and many others. Just lovely!

There is some excellent information about the moon and moon exploration (for instance: the American flag put up got blown over when the spacecraft left, and because there is no air to carry sound waves, there is no sound, etc.), but I hated the “travelogue” aspect where the reader is told what they’ll feel and think if they’re making a journey to the moon; I don’t like the chutzpah of telling people what their reactions will be because the experience would be different for different explorers. I did like the environmental message about the importance of protecting the earth’s air and water; that message is given in a very straightforward manner.

Overall, I liked it, loving parts and not liking other parts. It probably deserves one more star but I can’t quite give it. 3-1/2 stars which might be upgraded as I think about it.

This is one of six picture books for the November (space themed) Picture Books Club at the Children's Books group.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read If You Decide To Go To The Moon.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Lisa Vegan Yes, I didn't much like the pictures of the boy in this. The animals and landscapes are great though.

Lisa Vegan Chandra, If/when you're up for it, I'd love to see a review by you for Is Your Mama A Llama?.

Lisa Vegan It's really hard to review some books. I've given up on the idea of writing good reviews for certain books, usually ones I've loved or are otherwise important to me.

message 4: by Wilhelmina (new)

Wilhelmina Jenkins I couldn't figure out how to review Is Your Mama A Llama? if you paid me, but Grandson #1 and I read it a million times and loved it! I'm looking forward to reading it with Grandson #2!

message 5: by Kathryn (last edited Nov 03, 2010 03:10PM) (new)

Kathryn I am having trouble figuring out my review for If You Decide To Go To The Moon, too, Lisa. I felt much the same as you did, though. It helped reading your review--you capture the pros and cons noticed so well!

Lisa Vegan I'm glad it helped, Kathryn. This was sort of a strange book in some ways. I'll try to look for your review when you've written it. Maybe you'll help me figure out why I was so all over the place with this one. These book club with themes books sure are fun to read though.