KatLynne's Reviews > The Conqueror

The Conqueror by Brenda Joyce

Dec 03, 10

bookshelves: medieval, part-of-a-series, g-historical-romance, 2010-reads, library-book
Read from November 29 to December 03, 2010

** spoiler alert ** Wow, where to start. I loved Rolfe. He had the attributes of my favorite medieval warrior – tall, strong, handsome, commanding in his looks and actions, in his honor. Fierce, unrelenting on the battle field, protective, passionate and oh yeah that warrior’s body,..(sigh) - pure alpha male. This book sizzled with just his scorching looks at Ceidre. If you’re looking for hot desire, you will find it here.

Rolfe de Warenne, better know as Rolfe the Relentless for his prowess in battle, is given the Saxon holding, Aelfgar, by William of Normandy as reward for his many years of service and his assistance in helping William attain the throne. He is William’s most trusted commander and is given the charge of securing the north and burning out every rebel’s hiding place. William has also decreed the marriage of Rolfe to the daughter of the castle, Lady Alice, a vile, hateful creature who is filled with jealously and malicious intent against her half sister, Ceidre.

Ceidre is the illegitimate daughter of the late earl of Aelfgar, a beautiful, proud, loyal Saxon with a warrior’s heart. Due to her lazy eye, Ceidre was labeled “witch” as a child, and has spent her years lonely and rejected from hateful accusations spurred on by her sister’s never ending jealousy. Being excluded, she compensated her lonely days by helping her grandmother gather herbs for healing potions and learning the art of healing. Now, her missive is helping those in need with her potions and knowledge.

From their first encounter, Ceidre is secretly awed by Rolfe’s acceptance of her as a woman and not believing the foolishness of those who call her witch. You feel her plight and dismay for her beloved brothers, fierce and loyal warriors themselves, who are now the much sought rebels. As the story unravels, she is torn and in much dismay as she spies for them against Rolfe. As Rolfe fights his passionate feelings for Ceidre, he is dismayed at her treasoness behavior and places into action plans for her future protection. As he grows to love her, he longs for her complete loyalty to him.

Medieval Romance is a one of my favorite genres. And while I do understand the time period which reflects on the actions of the H/h I wish the author could have fictionalized a little more the characteristics of Rolfe and Ceidre. I would have loved the omission of his disregard for any illegitimate children he may have and would have been better pleased if he had not consummated his marriage to Ceidre’s half sister, Lady Alice. While the reader knows his heart is not engaged with Alice and jealousy and desire for Ceidre is the drive behind this action, I still like total monogamy. Also, there was a point where I could have choked Ceidre for her disloyalty to Rolfe. Saying this, it is only a very minor complaint and does not detract for this hot, romantic historical filled with passion and desire. In the end it all works well and they get their HEA.

3 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Conqueror.