Nikki's Reviews > Gravedigger

Gravedigger by Joseph Hansen

Nov 15, 10

bookshelves: lgbt, mystery, crime
Read from November 14 to 15, 2010

I feel a little bit like a broken record with Hansen. I've grown to love his style, the descriptiveness, the sound of his prose. Most of it I do read semi-aloud (I whisper), unlike a lot of other stuff I read lately. It takes more time: it's worth taking time over.

I love the way Brandstetter has a life, has family, has people that we care about. I love that Doug doesn't slip right into obscurity because they've broken up: he is there, in the background. I love that the relationships Dave forms -- Cecil, Salazer -- carry through to other books.

Not so fond of the way that all Dave's cases are somehow to do with gay men. On the flipside, glad of the way that he is competent, no matter what he has to deal with, whether it be a crime of passion or a serial-killing cultist madman.

One thing I like -- that others might not -- is that the emotional plot never gets so intense and dramatic that I don't want to read on. When I'm so attached to a character, I get reluctant to keep reading because I don't want anything bad to happen. I like Dave, I sympathise with him, I enjoy his quiet strength. There are moments of high intensity, yeah, but he's wiser than to live his whole life at fever pitch. I really like that.
3 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Gravedigger.