Sarah's Reviews > AWOL on the Appalachian Trail

AWOL on the Appalachian Trail by David "AWOL" Miller

Nov 15, 14

bookshelves: memoir-and-bio, non-fiction, exploration-and-adventure
Read from March 17 to 21, 2011

The good: David Miller seems like a regular middle aged dude who sets out to hike the Appalachain Trail, instead of a young trust fund mountain climber. He is detailed in his account of supplies and the ins and outs of hiking, both glorious and exceptionally mundane (diarrhea and lost toenails!). This is a hiking tale from someone who is missing his family, worrying about money and trying to find gear that works for him.
The bad: David Miller is a computer programmer and this book has about as much humor as if a computer programmer wrote it. There is also a lack of time line in terms of what month he is actually in what part of the trail. This seems like an easy fix, but has been left out. I was also turned off by the two pages of complaints about paying taxes. Dude, you are hiking through areas of this country that are funded by federal taxes! This seemed unnecessary and slightly obnoxious.
Overall, a decent and detailed account. I would recommend this especially to new or inexperienced hikers who are looking for some first hand accounts.
2 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read AWOL on the Appalachian Trail.

Carol C My feelings exactly. I couldn't have said it better!