Crystal's Reviews > Shedrow

Shedrow by Dean DeLuke

Oct 22, 10

bookshelves: for-review, read-oct-2010
Read from October 19 to 20, 2010

Dean DeLuke took writing what you know to heart when he wrote Shedrow. Read his bio on his website and then read the book. Dr. Anthony Gianni is a lot like Dean DeLuke sounds in his bio, with differences obviously, but knowing the character well helped Dean DeLuke to write a winner of a novel with Shedrow.

First up the suspense. The suspense and plot of Shedrow is tightly written and the twist in the plot, I did not see coming. I was left guessing right up until all was revealed. I did feel a little lost at times, like a little too much was chopped out of the book, but then everything would make sense and I would understand and continue to enjoy the book. The choppiness in a few parts only took a little away from my reading pleasure of this book.

Next the characters. There are definitely an interesting array of characters in the book. First Dr. Anthony Gianni, who is a plastic surgeon, volunteers his skills in third world countries, and owns stakes in various horses which he takes very seriously. I liked Dr. Gianni - he comes off accessible, not a high and mighty rich doctor. There are also various characters in the horse racing world, my favorite being Dr. Gianni's friend and the horse vet. He's a great character as well. Then add in Dr. Gianni's wife, three strange characters at a dump, a hermit, and mobsters to round it all out. There are all types of characters in this book and sometimes it's hard to figure out who the real bad guys are - that is what makes it fun.

The horse-racing aspect. Really interesting, I found myself enthralled with this world, how they work with the horses and decide which ones to race and how to race them and the thrill of being a part of a winning horse and the pain of the injuries that occur. Dr. Gianni was deeply immersed in the horse-racing world and what was great about him was he really cared about the horses. They weren't just money-makers to him, they were more and I liked that. I would definitely read more books set in the horse-racing world books now that I have gotten a taste.

Overall I found Shedrow to be a quick thrilling read. I read it easily over two nights and could have read it all in one night if I hadn't gotten really sleepy (Lunesta, not the book). It's a great thriller and I hope Dean DeLuke has more in store for Dr. Gianni in the future.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Shedrow.

10/20/2010 page 112