Spiros's Reviews > Something Like an Autobiography

Something Like an Autobiography by Akira Kurosawa

Jan 24, 2008

bookshelves: chasingmytail, cinerelated, bins, staffpicks, heroes
Recommended for: Human beings
Read in January, 2008

Having recently purchased, and repeatedly watched, DRUNKEN ANGEL, and having just purchased the 5 disc Criterion "Postwar Kurosawa" box, I decided to catch up on the Master's comments on these films. Of course, the fact that the commentary on these films comes towards the end of the book in no way prevented me from starting with Audie Bock's introduction and reading all the way through to Kurosawa's "Some Random Notes on Filmmaking" at the end, savoring every page. As always I was struck by Kurosawa's great humanism and deep humility, and as always I found myself surprised at just how great a writer he was: which suprise is surprising of itself, since he did have some part at least in writing all of the screenplays for the films he is discussing.

"I have come this far in writing something resembling an autobiography, but I doubt that I have managed to achieve real honesty about myself in its pages. I suspect that I have left out my uglier traits and more or less beautfied the rest. I find myself incapable of continuing to put pen to paper in good faith. RASHOMON became the gateway for my entry into the international film world, and yet as an autobiographer it is impossible for me to pass through the Rashomon gate and on to the rest of my life."

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Something Like an Autobiography.