Jenn Pellerin's Reviews > The Perks of Being a Wallflower

The Perks of Being a Wallflower by Stephen Chbosky

Feb 25, 08

bookshelves: crap
Recommended for: someone without a cynical bone in his or her body

Reading this book is kind of like having a too-long conversation at a dull party with one of those people who won't talk about anything but books and bands and movies that everyone and their mom just loves. "Do you like the Smiths?? Have you hear that song Asleep?? Have you heard of this book Catcher in the Rye? Do you make MIX TAPES? Do you struggle with your sexual and social identity? ME TOO?!"
If you are into that sort of thing, feel free. Or you could just go on youtube and watch that "pink moon" VW commercial on a loop for the amount of time it would take you to read the book. Same diff.

56 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Perks of Being a Wallflower.

Comments (showing 1-9)

dateUp arrow    newest »

Deanna So true.

Brenna While this is true, most people like that quality in a novel. Perks is like a long conversation about struggles, but that's what makes it relatable and the reason so many people love it. It's not like all those other books, and there are prominent twists and interesting stories behind each scenario.

Jasiel I agree with Brenna. This novel has taste, most importantly, substance.

Gemma agreed so much with brenna

Becky Yost I think that the characters were poorly developed and that the plot lacked substance. Chbosky would bring up serious situations and they would blow over in a matter of pages. In addition, the same situations repeated over and over again. It's a stereotypical "coming of age" novel that lacks any real substance.

Laetitia I'm halfway through and I'm forcing myself to finish this book.

Marlena Kieling I think the reason they blow over so fast in the book is that people blow over them fast in life as well, saying things like, "Get over it" "It happened for a reason" "It's done now" and so on, without ever really paying the necessary attention to these situations. Especially when it's kids who are dealing with it who are scared of some sort of consequence or feel like it is their fault to begin with.

Lynette Yes, the people who talk about intellectual books and Indie music just to show off how awesome they are. The ones who name-drop a band just to show how edgy they are. Yawn.

Julia Marlena, that is not true at all. Those who are traumatized early deal with it for quite a long time, maybe even for the rest of their lives. The real reason that the issues are blown over is that the author had no actual understanding of any of them and, thus, the characters' reactions were nonexistent and their development was nix. I am a little over half way done, and all I know about the characters is their issue (gay, depressed, suicidal, abused, molested, autistic (questionable though), beaten). There is no character development, no depth. It's just...this person was molested. Then this person was beaten. Then this person committed suicide. That's it. It's superficial. I want to know how the events shaped the characters, how they came to believe what they do, why they do the things they do, but the book never ventures into the realm. It's utterly frustrating.