Jacobmartin's Reviews > House of Leaves

House of Leaves by Mark Z. Danielewski

** spoiler alert ** This book is either one of the funniest satires of academic research ever created or one of the most heartfelt psychological horror novels that ever dealt with the medium of photography.

The Navidson Record is a film which may or may not exist, but I think this book's strength is to convey the creepiness of it without us actually seeing it. It lets us imagine the film while only hinting at the sinister content it is rumoured to contain.

The character Johnny Truant isn't exactly the typical hero I would relate to, but he's certainly the insomniac I relate to. Sadly because of the American health system poor Truant is far worse off than my medicated arse Down Under, so really for me the part of the book where he explains how expensive treatment is over there for a desperate guy like him was the scariest part of all about it, because the poor dude just wanted help and couldn't get it when he needed it.

All in all I recommend this book that inspires me as a photographic artist as well as a writer. I've never seen a book like it before or since that managed to capture the essence and beauty of a life dedicated to photography that is so hard to capture in words - the concepts are deeper than they seem.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read House of Leaves.