Natalie's Reviews > Cate of the Lost Colony

1969199
Oct 19, 2010

liked it
Read in October, 2010

In a Sentence: Cate of the Lost Colony is a masterful coming-of-age tale that takes place in a vivid historical setting.

My Thoughts

When I was in high school, I picked up Lisa Klein's first novel, Ophelia, and absolutely loved it. As such, I was really excited to read Cate of the Lost Colony. Klein has written a few books between Ophelia and Cate, but this is only the second one that I've read.

Cate of the Lost Colony definitely lived up to the high standard set by Ophelia. The characters were just as real, the writing was just as good, and Klein's historical accuracy was spot on, as usual.

Speaking of historical accuracy, I was amazed by the detail that went into Cate of the Lost Colony. As a former Global Studies major, I've taken quite a few history classes, and I'm usually able to pick out at least a few minor errors in most historical fiction. I wasn't able to to that with this book, which made me very happy! I can only imagine how much research Klein put into writing this novel, but it definitely paid off.

I loved the main character, Cate. She was strong and independent, but not so much that she was abrasive or foolish. Cate is subject to all of your typical human emotions (like love and fear), but she fights very hard to do what she thinks is right and smart, instead of trying to take the easy way out. Most important of all...she stays true to herself amidst a sea of intimidating, strong-willed (and male) figures, even though many women of her age would have chosen to stay in the shadows.

Cate of the Lost Colony is a book I would recommend to readers who tend to stay away from the historical fiction genre. In my opinion, Lisa Klein is one of the best historical fiction writers out there. Her stories stay true to historical fact, but at the same time, she manages to put her own creative spin on things. If there's ever been a writer to make history come alive, it's Lisa Klein!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Cate of the Lost Colony.

02/21/2016 marked as: read