Flannery's Reviews > Feed

Feed by Mira Grant

Aug 05, 11

bookshelves: read-in-2011, read-on-kindle, reviewed-2011, readalong
Read from November 28, 2010 to August 04, 2011, read count: 1.5

A Venn diagram with 3 large circles-politics, blogging, and zombies. The mixture of politics and blogging is The Huffington Post. The portion with blogging and zombies is http://zombieresearch.net and the mixture of zombies and politics is 'Theories of International Politics and Zombies' by Daniel Drezner. The central portion mixing zombies, politics,and blogging is 'Feed' by Mira Grant

I think my Venn diagram says it all. What? It doesn't? Well, alright then. This book was a real roller coaster for me. I attempted to read a library copy in November and I just couldn't make it through. THE POLITICS. THE BLOGGING. There are several sections of Feed that really slow down the pacing. At points, I felt like I was running around an empty track. At others, someone had tied concrete blocks to my feet and I was running in quicksand. I am so happy that I finished it my second time through, though I have to admit that my motivation to do so was increased by 1) the fact that I was reading with a friend and 2) several of my Goodreads friends sing this book's praises.

The ultimate strength of this novel is in the characters. Adopted brother and sister, Georgia and Shaun, hold the entire story together with their bond. I grew to really enjoy some of the side characters as well, though it was clear to me who was up to no good before their big reveals.

I think the reason I didn't love this as much as some of my friends is that I felt it could've been at least 100 pages shorter than it was. (If not more) The beginning solidified Georgia and Shaun's familial situation and their friendship with Buffy, as well as the entire world they were living in and the blogging atmosphere. I was hooked. The ending was just fantastic. It was the middle that was rough going and it makes me nervous to start the second Newsflesh book--will it be a blog slog again?

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Feed.

11/28/2010 page 70
12/29/2010 page 250
44.0% "I still really like this book but I don't like how thick it is--it makes me not want to read it because it will take me longer than usual to finish a book. Suck it up, me."
07/30/2011 page 1
0.0% "I'm not sure how my status updates will reflect the fact that I just went from 250 pages in back to page 1. Restarting this as a readalong! I will make it the whole way through this time." 1 comment
07/30/2011
20.0% "Enjoying it just like last time. About 20% more before I hit new territory:)"
08/02/2011
55.0% "Over the pre-read hump." 1 comment
08/03/2011
70.0% "Totally into it now." 4 comments
show 2 hidden updates…

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Jasprit Looks like were about on the same part, (view spoiler)

Flannery (view spoiler)

Jasprit (view spoiler)

Flannery We HAVE to finish it! :) I gave up where we are this time and now I regret putting so much work into it and not finishing. You don't want to feel like I did for those months. PUMP IT UP! (is my pump up speech working?!)

Jasprit Lol yes its working, I hate not finishing books, I'll keep repeating you're PUMP IT UP! mantra to get me through the book :)

Maja (The Nocturnal Library) Where are you with this? Should we be starting? We can wait a little while longer, that's no problem at all.

Flannery I'm gonna still start it today. It will be good to have something to mix it up. I'll still stay on pace with the Feed readalong and keep up with you, too:) (but I bet you started already!)

Maja (The Nocturnal Library) No, I just put it on my 'currently reading' shelf. I wouldn't start without you guys. In fact, I have a confession to make: I was so excited about you reading Feed that I reread a huuuuuge part of it myself. :D Welcome to Crazyville, have a nice day.

Wendy Darling I'm so glad you are enjoying this the second time around!

Wendy Darling No, Deadline moves along at a breakneck pace. You will totally love it!

Flannery That makes sense actually, since Shaun is presumably the main narrator. Georgia was just too work-centric and detail oriented.

Maja (The Nocturnal Library) Deadline will probably be more up your alley.
*sighs* Looks like I'll still be the only one who liked Feed more...

Flannery As long as you two aren't defriending me...

Lisa O. Maja! Have you noticed my ratings? I gave Deadline half a star less. I did like Feed better.
Great review Flann! I agree with you and I am curious to see what you think about Deadline by the way. I had several problems with it.

Maja (The Nocturnal Library) Ah, well, I did promise after all. I'm not in the habit of breaking my word - as much as I would like to at times... :D

Maja (The Nocturnal Library) OMG, Lisa, I didn't know that! Phew! It's a relief. I've been feeling quite lonely on this side of the Newsflesh planet.

message 17: by Lucy (new) - rated it 3 stars

Lucy I totally hated Deadline, but in true goodreads spirit I'm eager to see what you think...

message 18: by [deleted user] (new)

I didn't like this book..but I only read about 100 pages. Maybe I should try again.

message 19: by Nomes (new) - added it

Nomes Flannery, your venn diagram is genius :)

I want this. Even with the "boring" bits it sounds brilliant :)

message 20: by Shirley (new)

Shirley Marr O.M.G your venn diagram - I love it too!

message 21: by Sense361 (new) - added it

Sense361 Your review are always so visual. You rock!)

message 22: by Beth (new) - added it

Beth Awesome Venn diagram!

Plot related question: is there (view spoiler) in this book? I saw a passing reference to it in one of the other reviews and I was wondering about the circumstances of that plot point (if it is indeed in FEED and I haven't mixed it up with something else)? Not sure if I'd like this if it's crowded with (view spoiler).

message 23: by Flannery (last edited Aug 05, 2011 12:44PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Flannery @Beth--No, there isn't. (view spoiler)

ETA: I went and looked at a bunch of other reviews and I see you are totally correct that tons of people read it that way. I guess the ambiguous quality of their relationship didn't bother me. Then again, I did just read Forbidden. Ah! So did you. I forgot. This isn't even 10% as awkward as that was.

message 24: by Lora (new) - added it

Lora This book has two things that I hate: politics and zombies. Thus I shall never read it.

Great review and Venn diagram, though :)

Chichipio First, bonus points for the nerdy diagram.

Second, zombieresearch.net? I had to check it out.

Flannery wrote: "It was the middle that was rough going and it makes me nervous to start the second Newsflesh book--will it be a blog slog again?"

The second has much more action including, but not limited to, blowing up lots of zombie brains and other, less impressive, body parts.

message 26: by Beth (new) - added it

Beth @Flannery - thanks! Just wondered. I can handle a bit of ambiguity. I just wasn't ready for Forbidden level angst.

message 27: by Riona (new) - added it

Riona this venn diagram is amazing.

Judie This is perfect. :)

Flannery Thanks Riona and Judie! :)

message 30: by Dave (new) - rated it 5 stars

Dave Newton I didn't have the problems you did with the pacing, but I love the Venn diagram for the book.

Jennifer Hallowanger I like the visual of "running in quicksand" cause that's exactly how I felt

Virgie Epic :)