Shel's Reviews > The Vegan Revolution... with Zombies

The Vegan Revolution... with Zombies by David Agranoff

Oct 17, 14

bookshelves: vegan, animal-rights
Read from September 10, 2011 to October 17, 2014

The author clearly had fun writing this and it was a fun read. It offers the vegan perspective (people who refuse to think about their food choices seem like sick zombies) and vegan wish fulfillment fantasy. This is the author's first satire. It felt like it could have used a couple of more rounds of polish.

I loved the ending. Very few post-apocalyptic stories consider what happens to the animals. While the vegans had fun shooting zombified yuppies and hipsters, I liked that their thoughts eventually returned to the animals and they sought out factory farms to rescue the abandoned dairy cows and egg-producing chickens.

It was also nice to see this likely response to an apocalypse — missing from most fiction: the vegans took the opportunity to rebuild society and make it better.

Now I want to go eat vegan food in Portland.

For well-honed dark comedy that a non-vegan might also pick up for entertainment (but also considers the origin of bacon and the philosophical implications of what we eat), try David Liss', The Ethical Assassin, with its very enjoyable, cool, vegan antagonist.

Pairs well with: Farm Sanctuary: Changing Hearts and Minds About Animals and Food by Gene Baur, Baur's non-fiction account of his work for farm animal protection. "I believe we can create a truly humane, sustainable, and health food production system without killing any animals. I imagine a revolution in veganic agriculture in which small farmers grow a variety of vegetables, fruits, grains, and legumes, all fertilized with vegetable sources." — Gene Baur

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Vegan Revolution... with Zombies.

10/11 marked as: currently-reading
10/17 marked as: read

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Shel Sweetpea Baking Co. and Blossoming Lotus vegan restaurants in Portland are v. good!