Jennifer's Reviews > Dusk Conspiracy

Dusk Conspiracy by Lakisha Spletzer

Nov 28, 10

Read from October 23 to November 15, 2010

Laylah has everything a girl could want, well almost. She is, at first glance, a normal teenage girl that wants to fit in at school. Her father, Henry, is an Alpha that keeps her sheltered from the world and what she really is. Henry works constantly and never makes time for his Laylah. What little time he makes for her comes with a price. She is left in the constant care of Jacques. A Were pack attempts to kidnap Laylah, only to be stopped dead in their tracks by a lone Were named Donil. Laylah and Donil become quite close and a bond is formed between them. A war is waged between a woman in Henry's past and his daughter; she will stop at nothing to end Laylah's life.

I was not sure how the futuristic approach to a Were story would work for me but it was great. The futuristic parts were low key and didn't smother the actual plot. Spletzer let the plot unfold in a timely manner, leaving plenty of time for the reader to connect with the characters.

As far as the characters go, I was really impressed. Henry Le Croix was a first class jerk. I completely understand that he never really healed from the death of his wife but he just really chapped my a**. His character just disturbed me on a number of levels. I hoped he would lighten up a little and give his daughter a break...wishful thinking. However, if Henry had been any different than he was the plot wouldn't have worked.

I have to admit that I expected more from the main character. Laylah was very likable and a joy to read about but I felt she could have shown a little more backbone. She seemed to get lost amongst the other Were characters. For me, her saving grace was that she didn't know her heritage. Being left in the dark about everything around her added mystery and intrigue to her and her story. I hope that she grows more as an individual and shows more strength in the next installment.

Overall, the action was more than I could have hoped for. Spletzer sucked you in on page one and kept a tight grip until the last page. I would like to read more about the different Were packs and the futuristic world they live in. Werelove Dusk Conspiracy was an entertaining read filled with action, a little romance, and shocking events that will keep you reading until the last page.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Dusk Conspiracy.

11/08/2010 page 26