ShareStories's Reviews > Write It When I'm Gone: Remarkable Off-the-Record Conversations with Gerald R. Ford

Write It When I'm Gone by Thomas M. Defrank

1190680
Nov 08, 10

bookshelves: history
Read from October 19 to November 08, 2010

Write It When I'm Gone is a glimpse into the character of Gerald R. Ford by Thomas M. Defrank, who was first assigned to Ford when Defrank was a new twenty-something reporter and Ford was Nixon's Vice President.

The relationship they maintained lasted until the end of Ford's long life.

This story didn't contain any "smoking guns" or sensationalist revelations, especially compared to the instant news, conspiracy theorist mecca that is the internet these days.

Instead, Defrank shows us, through his decades-long interaction with Jerry Ford the person that Ford's integrity was real.

Defrank says that Ford represents the end of an era in politics and while I'm sure that is true, I do think that Ford may have been exceptional even then, particularly given his immediate predecessor, Richard Nixon.

Gerald Ford has been a favorite of mine ever since he took office and I was happy and privileged to have found this book waiting for me (sadly) in the Dollar Store.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Write It When I'm Gone.