Lena Grey's Reviews > Boystown: Three Nick Nowak Mysteries

Boystown by Marshall Thornton

Oct 19, 10

Read in October, 2010

'Boystown' is a collection of three mysteries from Detective Nick Nowack's case files. The stories are so tightly entwined that it was difficult for me to review each separately. The tales reminded me of the 1950s law enforcement series 'Dragnet'. In several instances, I could hear Joe Friday, the main character of 'Dragnet', reading Nick's words in his dead pan narration style.

In the very first paragraph, Nick sets the tone when he says, “Like most guys, I’m a sucker for easy sex and a fast buck. Unlike most guys, I should know better.” Nick Nowack 'does' know better. Although he is a good detective, he is caught up in a self-destructive pattern of denial and pain causing his outlook on life to be skewed.

After Nick was fired and virtually shunned by everyone who once respected and loved him, including Daniel, the love of his life, he understandably becomes bitter and resentful. Nick sees the world through eyes of pain. He has a 'hurt before I get hurt' attitude. While not allowing himself to feel anything, he won't feel the inevitable pain and rejection life so often brings. However, he also will not receive the nurturing brought about by love and joy. This is Nick's way of punishing himself for all his regrets.

'Boystown' is a collection of hard boiled detective stories with suspects, clues, many twists and turns and a resolution. These are not just stories about a gay detective. They are detective stories in which the main character happens to be gay. The stories are an unsentimental look at Nick Nowack's life. They're not at all romantic. The stories are to the point--no frills, no foreplay. The collection has the ingredients of sufficiently mysterious, sexy, and brutally honest stories. The final story even has a hint of a happy ending.

If you are looking for gay romance stories, it's unlikely that you will like this book. However, if you want to read complex stories with an even more complex main character, 'Boystown' may be a book you will enjoy.

NOTE: This book was provided by the author for the purpose of a review on Queer Magazine Online
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Boystown.