Nic's Reviews > Bloodlines

Bloodlines by Richelle Mead

Sep 12, 11

bookshelves: 2011, vampires, favourite-of-2011, favourites, read-in-2011
Read from September 03 to 06, 2011 — I own a copy

Here is how I picture Adrian: http://irresistiblereads.blogspot.com...

Favourite Quote: "Takes a lot of tries before you hit perfection." He paused to reconsider that. "Well, except for my parents. They got it on the first try." (Adrian)

Before starting Bloodlines I was in a reading slump. No matter which book I tried nothing was really holding my attention. But Bloodlines fixed that. I loved this book! It was a incredible story that I couldn't get enough of.

Mead is one of my favourite authors. Her writing is unbelievable. Always intensely readable and fiercely entertaining. Together with a plot that is full of tension and twists. This series is a great mix of both the alchemist and vampires worlds. And those two worlds could not be more different.

What I love about Mead's characters are that they are complicated. No cardboard cut-outs of characters here. I have to admit I wasn't sure if I was going to like Sydney as a main character. She is so different from the kick-butt Rose (from Vampire Academy) who is one of my all time favourites. But the more I read Bloodlines the more I liked Sydney. She showed loyalty, courage, kindness and surprisingly strength. I can definitely see her joining the ranks of my favourite characters.

Then you have Adrian. I have always loved him in the Vampire Academy series and I am happy to see him play such a big role in this book. He is charming, quick witted guy who is suffering from a broken heart. At times I may have been a little tiny bit frustrated that he was playing the victim. I know he is hurting (and I would love to make him all better *wink wink*) but it gets a little tired after a while. So I was very happy that as Bloodlines went on he started to show really growth and change as character and even had a hero moment or two.

Jill is such a sweet character. One you want to hug. I really connected with her and am looking forward to getting more of her story as this series goes on. Then you have more some incredible secondary characters like Eddie from Vampire Academy and a bunch of newbies including Trey, Ms Terwillger and Micah. As well as Abe who pops in every now and then and even a visit from Rose.

We all know how much I love a good romance in a story. Well Bloodlines there is no romance yet but rather some delicious chemistry simmering.

And OH the ending! Mead delivers her speciality - a knock-out ending that will leave you craving more. I wouldn't call it a cliffhanger as such but rather something that is going to leave you saying UH-OH this is going to be interesting.

Overall, Mead has delivered another novel that is nothing less than SUPERB. Bloodlines is a must read! Seriously run out and get a copy now!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Bloodlines.

Quotes Nic Liked

Richelle Mead
“Yeah? Can you draw a skeleton riding a motorcycle with flames coming out of it? And I want a pirate hat on the skeleton. And a parrot on his shoulder. A skeleton parrot. Or maybe a ninja skeleton parrot? No, that would be overkill. But it'd be cool if the biker skeleton could be shooting some ninja throwing stars. That are on fire.”

Richelle Mead
“Takes a lot of tries before you hit perfection." He paused to reconsider that. "Well, except for my parents. They got it on the first try." (Adrian)”

Richelle Mead
“You look confused," said Adrian.
I shook my head and sighed. "I think I'm just overthinking things."
He nodded solemnly. "That's why I try to never do it.”

Richelle Mead
“My God, Sage. Your eyes. How have I never noticed them?"

That uncomfortable feeling was spreading over me again. "What about them?"

"The color," he breathed. "When you stand in the light. They're amazing... like molten gold. I could paint those..." He reached toward me but then pulled back. "They're beautiful. You're beautiful.”

Richelle Mead
“Can't you . . . I don't know. Find a hobby or something?"
"Being charming is my hobby," said Adrian obstinately. "I'm the life of the party— even without drinking. I wasn't meant to be alone.”

Richelle Mead
“I decided the Alchemists needed an entire department devoted to handling Adrian Ivashkov.”

Richelle Mead
“I was no better at reading people than I had been ten seconds ago, but in that moment, I suddenly gained a flash of understanding into the mystery that was Adrian Ivashkov. People didn't believe in him very often. They had low expectations of him, so he did as well. Even Eddie had sort of written him off: 'He's Adrian'. As though there was nothing to be done for it.

I also suddenly realized that, as unlikely as it seemed, Adrian and I had a lot in common. Both of us were constantly boxed in by others' expectations. It didn't matter that people expected everything of me and nothing of him. We were still the same, both of us constantly trying to break out of the lines that others had defined for us and be our own person. Adrian Ivashkov — flippant, vampire party boy — was more like me than anyone else knew.”

Richelle Mead
“Thanks for looking out for her, Sage. You're okay. For a human."
I almost laughed. "Thanks."
"You can say it too, you know."
I walked over to Latte and paused. "Say what?"
"That I'm okay...for a vampire," he explained.
I shook my head, still smiling. "You'll have a hard time getting any Alchemist to admit that. But I can say you're okay for an irreverent party boy with occasional moments of brilliance."
"Brilliant? You think I'm brilliant?" He threw his hands skyward. "You hear that, world? Sage says I'm brilliant.”

09/03/2011 page 87
21.0% "Enjoying it so far. But I am missing Rose and Dimitri."
09/04/2011 page 276
66.0% "I think this book is getting rid of my reading slump :)" 4 comments

dateDown_arrow    newest »

~Tina~ MMmm! The sleeping dude is my favorite ~ waggles eyebrows~ Another perfect pic twinie!!

Hurry up Aug!!!

message 2: by Nic (new) - rated it 5 stars

Nic YAY twin seal of approval :) Yes hurry up AUGUST!

Arlene The last one at the bottom ....definitely the last one. ~drools~

message 4: by ~Tina~ (last edited Jul 13, 2011 04:39PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

~Tina~ lol twinie ^^

Yes, I agree Arlene, the last one is yummy, but I just want to snuggle on that pillow with him. Tehe!

message 5: by Nic (new) - rated it 5 stars

Nic Just snuggle hey? ~wink wink~ Sure sure :)

~Tina~ Snuggle

Cuddle

Drool

...all of the above;) Muahah!

Milly ~Tina~ wrote: "Snuggle

Cuddle

Drool

...all of the above;) Muahah!"

So is the drool from falling asleep and drooling all over your face or drool from looking at Adrian? :)

~Tina~ Why looking at Adrian of course;) I don't think I'd be able to sleep with him so close >.< lol!

Milly ~Tina~ wrote: "Why looking at Adrian of course;) I don't think I'd be able to sleep with him so close >.< lol!"

Hahaha! Just kidding T!
I can't wait for this book to come my way!
Was it better than Last Sacrifice?

~Tina~ I'm happy with the way the VA books ending. This will be a fun new start and I'm hoping it will be just as fun and exciting:)

Milly ~Tina~ wrote: "I'm happy with the way the VA books ending. This will be a fun new start and I'm hoping it will be just as fun and exciting:)"

Woot! Woot! I want it now, please! :)

message 12: by Nic (new) - rated it 5 stars

Nic Him or the book Milly? LOL :)

Milly I want to be greedy and say BOTH! :)

message 14: by Nic (new) - rated it 5 stars

Nic Me too!

♥Rachel♥ Oh my goodness! Yum!

message 16: by Giselle (new) - added it

Giselle Wow I think this is the first 5 star I see of this! :)

Alexa I'm glad, Nic! :D

message 18: by Nic (new) - rated it 5 stars

Nic @ Giselle - A few of my friends have given it 5 stars. I think if you like Mead's other books you will like this.

@ Alexa - I was a little worried but any book with Adrian in it can only be good :)

Paula Weston Great review - I'm looking forward to this one. Adrian was always my favourite in the VA series. :)

message 20: by Nic (new) - rated it 5 stars

Nic Thanks Paula! There is plenty of Adrian so I think you will enjoy this :)

message 21: by Luce (new) - rated it 4 stars

Luce I'm so glad you liked it! I was almost dreading reading this because of some reviews I've read, but now I'm reassured! =)

message 22: by Nic (new) - rated it 5 stars

Nic I read quite a few mixed reviews too. So I was surprised I loved it so much. Hope you enjoy it :)

Alexa I wouldn't mind making him feel all better too... XD teehee
I'm really glad you ended up liking it, Nic. You had any idea that ending was coming? :D

Limonessa Nic, I obviously didn't like it as much as you but I like your pictures of Adrian very much! He's THE character that made me get to end. I really hope future installments will be spectacular, I loved VA so much!

♥Rachel♥ I'm new to Nic's Book Boyfriends but these picture of Adrian are perfect! Me like! I'm going to have to look up some of Nic's previous picks for Book Boyfriends on her blog!

message 26: by Nic (new) - rated it 5 stars

Nic @ Alexa - No idea that ending was coming. I think my mouth dropped opened when I read it. Golden Lily is going to be interesting!

@ Lisa - Adrian really is the star of the book. It would be great if in future installments we suddenly got his POV.

@ Rachel - Glad you like the pics of Adrian :)