Vanessa's Reviews > Neon Angel: A Memoir of a Runaway

Neon Angel by Cherie Currie

Oct 24, 10

bookshelves: read-in-2010

I have not been able to get "Cherry Bomb" out of my head since I picked this up. "Hello Daddy, Hello Mom. I'm your ch-ch-ch-ch-ch-ch-ch-ch-Cherry Bomb!" (Haha! Now it's stuck in your head too.)

There's not much I can say to sway anyone on this one. If you aren't familiar with The Runaways (the seminal 70's all-girl band that launched the careers of Lita Ford, Joan Jett and the author, Cherie Currie) and/or are interested in a certain breed of rock memoir, then you aren't likely to seek this book out anyways.

If you are on the fence, I can tell you that Currie writes clearly and modestly-if not always artfully-and she's been through a lot: fame as a teen-aged rock queen, a promising film career she ruined with a raging coke habit, assorted familial dysfunction that was really kind of heartbreaking, rape, and a near fist fight with Lita Ford (who, not surprisingly, is kind of a bitch.) Some parts drag a bit but other parts-especially about life during the Runaways era-are riveting. I also liked the stories she tells about her first movie role, Foxes, and her friendship with co-star Jodie Foster. And it is quite touching and amazing she survived it all, got clean, married Robert Hays of Airplane fame, had a kid and became-wait for it-a prize-winning chainsaw artist.

Foxes, by the way? Still a great movie.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Neon Angel.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by [deleted user] (new)

I thought I reviewed this! I read it in 7th grade. It was very scandalous.

Vanessa She said she decided a few years ago to update her YA novel which makes me wonder what the differences are. I'm guessing the Kim Fowley sex ed chapter was left out.

I do wish the movie of this had been better.