Karla's Reviews > Golden Apples

Golden Apples by Rose Elver

The Girl: Vere Pelham, niece to the CEO of a PR firm. She's adopted and is on the trail of finding her long-lost twin sister, so she's come to London to get some work in the biz (she's studied art and advertising) while she investigates leads.

The Guy: Gavin Ingham, #2 cheese at the firm. Tall and lean with floppity black hair. He hates nepotism - Exhibit A: The Heroine - and treats her like a baby. Which she pretty much is. Spoiled, cranky, and impatient.

The Setup: Vere comes to the firm thinking that she's been hired on her own merits, but when Gavin tells her that he was told to hire her, she wonders if she should just quit. But that perky, stubborn pride kicks in and she goes in for the long haul.

The Good Stuff: It was short and didn't overstay its welcome, but other than that, there wasn't really anything zippy about it.

My Gripes: Pretty dull and average. There wasn't much chemistry between Vere and Gavin, mainly because Vere was a worrisome little crybaby. I didn't want her to snag him, even though he was no great shakes himself. There simply was no zip and zing to the story, and there tended to be too much about fashion and the PR biz - two subjects that are about as low on my interest pole as you can possibly get. Rose Elver didn't write many Harleys - a grand total of 5 - and if this was all she wrote, I can see why. She's got a very plain and ordinary style. It wasn't even enough to annoy me. At the end, I only wanted to take a nap.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Golden Apples.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Danielle The Book Huntress (Angels Weep For Goodreads) The dull and boring HPs are the worst. I need my drama!

Karla Drama is a must! (I actually had to re-read my review to reacquaint myself with what it was about and I still barely remember it. Says a lot, I think.)

message 4: by Chrisolu (new)

Chrisolu how dreadfull. I hate the boring harleys. I think "Jake Howards' Wife" by Anne Mather was the driest Harley I've ever read.

message 5: by Mermarie (new) - added it