Vee's Reviews > A Renegade History of the United States

Aug 09, 11

bookshelves: non-fiction, history
Recommended for: People Who Know and Love American History
Read from June 27 to August 09, 2011 — I own a copy

This is a really fun read. Random thoughts.

Yes, some of his conclusions are quite sketchy but he does raise a number of good points through out the book.

A lot of the information throughout this book would make great source material for epic blockbuster films.

Italians. Guinea. I never made that connection.

I've often heard some entertainers like Jay-Z, Snoop Dogg and many other state that "rap music has done more for race relations than the Civil Rights Movement." Now that's some serious crap but I'm sure Thaddeus Russell will be able to make that statement appear believable if you ignore what was actually accomplished during the Civil Rights Era.

The bibliography is worth investigating.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Renegade History of the United States.

06/29/2011
42.0% "White woman arrested for fornicating with a black man. Black woman arrested for having mixed races in her brothel.

You gotta love America."
07/10/2011
58.0% "corporal punishment?"
07/11/2011
25.0% "Some of these stories would make great films. (p.88 of 352) Apparently GoodReads page tracker is not working for this book."
07/11/2011
30.0% "p.106 of 352 . . . the Freedom of Slavery and the Slavery of Freedom chapters are really interesting looks into American history."
07/14/2011
49.0% "p. 175 of 352
I plan exploring the bibliography in the future."
07/15/2011
51.0% "p.182 of p.352
So before they were white, the Irish immigrants, the Jewish immigrants and the Italian immigrants were not considered white in America.

I never made the connection between Italians and the West African nation Guinea."
08/01/2011
58.0% "p.206 of 352"
08/02/2011
58.0% "Fascism is clean, smart and efficient. Democracy, not so much. Damn, I love American history."