Rahma Krambo's Reviews > A Map of the World

A Map of the World by Jane Hamilton

Oct 19, 10

bookshelves: women-s-voices

The most outstanding thing about this books is the 'voice'. It's written in first person, mostly from the female POV, but there's a well done section from the voice of her husband. As a writer, I know how difficult first person POV is, which makes me doubly appreciate Jane Hamilton's skill.

The characters are the most well developed I've read in a long time. No cardboard, run-of-the-mill people. The story is emotionally intense and can be hard to read for some people. It might have been depressing if the writing had been mediocre, but the author's exploration of the character's mental state is brilliant.

I'm afraid my review will be too general to be of much help because it's hard to talk about the book without spoilers.

If you are a writer and want to study an incredible first person voice and brilliant writing, I recommended this book highly. I'd give it ten stars if they'd let me and I'm a very critical reader. A book has to squeeze even five stars out of me.

If you enjoy great writing and are hungry for something more than light reading, give A Map of the World a try.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Map of the World.