Lisa's Reviews > iBoy

iBoy by Kevin Brooks

Oct 19, 2010

bookshelves: mystery, young-adult, contemporary, 4-stars, science-fiction
Read in October, 2010

The only reason I read this book was because I won it in a competition, and at first I believe I wouldn't really like it.

But I was wrong. I absolutely loved it.

The best thing about this book is that there are surprises from start to finish and will leave plenty of people satisfied when they close the book. And, instead of super-spiders or toxic waste or whatever - these "super-powers" that Tom Harvey obtains are from a iPhone - weirdly wonderful really.

So, Tom Harvey - a sixteen year old from London; a normal person with normal attributes with a normal crush on his best friend Lucy. Normal, ja? Well, not until an iPhone drops from the 30th floor of his apartment, knocking him into a coma with shards of iPhone in his head.
Now, Tom has obtained all the "powers" of an iPhone - texting, calling, WiFi, hacking - you name it - even some electromagnetic force field and taser powers to boot.

It's not till his best friend Lucy is gang-raped by one of two of London gangs - the Crow and the FGHs - and her brother Ben banged up by their memebers that Tom decides to make an alter-ego known as iBoy to track down Lucy and Ben's attackers and bring them to justice.

Simple super-hero story, right? Well, no, not really. iBoy - despite it's cheesy title - is funny, dark, suspenseful and generally a great read.
And damn, Kevin Brook is a great 1st Person Narrative writer.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read iBoy.

04/02/2016 marked as: read