Chechinaa benetti's Reviews > The Thorn Birds

The Thorn Birds by Colleen McCullough

Oct 19, 10

bookshelves: to-read

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Thorn Birds.

Quotes Chechinaa Liked

Colleen McCullough
“When we press the thorn to our chest we know, we understand, and still we do it.”

Colleen McCullough
“There are no ambitions noble enough to justify breaking someone's heart. ”

Colleen McCullough
“What was sleep? A blessing, a respite from life, an echo of death, a demanding nuisance? ”

Colleen McCullough
“Belief doesn't rest on proof or existence...it rests on faith...without faith there is nothing.”

Colleen McCullough
“If you love people, they kill you. If you need people, they kill you. They do I tell you!”

Colleen McCullough
“There was some justice in his pain”

Colleen McCullough
“..the best is only bought at the cost of great pain...or so says the legend”

Colleen McCullough
“Truly God was good, to make man so blind.”

Colleen McCullough
“There is a legend about a bird which sings only once in it's life, more beautifully than any other creature on the face of the earth. From the moment it leaves it's nest, it searches for a thorn tree, and does not rest until it has found one. Then, it impales it's breast on the longest, sharpest thorn. But as it is dying, it rises above it's own agony to outsing the Lark and the Nightingale. The Thornbird pays it's life for that one song, and the whole world stills to listen, and God in his heaven smiles, as it's best is brought only at the cost of great pain; Driven to the thorn with no knowledge of the dying to come. But when we press the thorn to our breast, we know, we understand.... and still, we do it." ~ Colleen McCullough”

Colleen McCullough
“Казваш, че ме обичаш, но нямаш представа какво е любов; само редиш думи, които си научил наизуст, защото ти се струва, че звучат добре”

Colleen McCullough
“Всеки от нас носи в себе си нещо, от което не може да се отрече, дори то да ни кара да вием от болка и да призоваваме смъртта.
Такива сме си и това е!”