Drebbles's Reviews > Call Me Mrs. Miracle

Call Me Mrs. Miracle by Debbie Macomber

Oct 19, 2010

bookshelves: 2010
Read in October, 2010

When Holly Larson’s widowed brother is called up by the National Guard and sent to Afghanistan, she quickly agrees to let his eight year old son Gabe live with her. Money is tight but she is saving every bit she can to get Gabe the toy robot he so badly wants. She loves Christmas, unlike Jake Finley and his father, owner of Finley’s Department Store, who no longer celebrate Christmas after a tragedy. When Holly and Jake meet sparks fly – but Holly and Jake still need a miracle – Mrs. Miracle that is.

“Call Me Mrs. Miracle” is a sequel to Debbie Macomber’s “Mrs. Miracle” and is an even more delightful read than the original. I was a little bit nervous about reading it because Macomber wrote it knowing it was going to be a movie and the producers wanted “the story to be the same…only different”, but Macomber was up to the challenge and has come up with a book that is perfect for the holiday season and is bound to keep readers smiling. (Yes, there was some sadness in Jake’s background story but even that has a “happy” ending.) Macomber’s decision to have Finley’s Department Store be located on 34th Street is an inspired one that adds a lot of charm to the story. The romance between Holly and Jake is very sweet, very cute, and just a bit magical. Gabe is a typical Macomber child – very good, although not above getting in a little bit of trouble (not on purpose) who is adjusting to the death of his mother and his father being away. Mrs. Miracle is one of my all time favorite Macomber characters (who now sounds just like Doris Roberts in my head) and it was nice to read another book about her – I’m crossing my fingers it becomes an annual tradition, much like the Cedar Cove books, to have a Mrs. Miracle book to read at Christmas (and maybe her friends Shirley, Goodness and Mercy could visit her). As an added bonus for her fans, Macomber includes some recipes from Debbie Macomber’s Cedar Cove Cookbook (the fried chicken recipe sounds yummy).

“Call Me Mrs. Miracle” is another cute book by Debbie Macomber.
3 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Call Me Mrs. Miracle.

Cecelia Yes, the fried chicken recipe sounded scrumptious. I will make it this weekend. I'm also gonna try the sugar cookie recipe. I've never read "Mrs. Miracle" but I plan on reading it in the future.