Danielle The Book Huntress (Self-Proclaimed Book Ninja)'s Reviews > Demon

Demon by Kristina Douglas

Jun 30, 12

bookshelves: owned-copy, part-of-a-series, angels, demon, favorite-or-autobuy-author, favorites, dangerous-hero-2012-general-reading, antihero, cruel-hero, hero-hard-to-like, hero-redeems-himself, grumpy-surly-brooding-hero, heroine-i-loved, christian-lore, yearly-reading-challenge, 2012-sky-s-the-limit-club, hot-and-steamy-romance, tormented-heroine, character-grieving-loved-one, hero-or-heroine-gravely-ill, hero-black-hair-blue-eyes, redhead, bad-past-sexual-experiences, enemies-to-lovers, can-t-stop-thinking-about-this-book, amnesia, heroine-lesser-sexual-experience, all-things-summer-challenge, alternate-dimension-or-world, australia-pacific-island-setting, scary-sexy-cool-dangerous-hero, captive-kidnapped, hero-or-heroine-in-jeopardy, widower, prophecy, curse, 1st-person-pov, multiple-narrators
Recommended for: Angel fiction fans, some PNR fans
Read from June 27 to 28, 2012 — I own a copy, read count: 1

This was a solid four star book until the last hundred or so pages, when it really turned around, and I knew it would get the highest rating from me. I must say I think the storyline is very imaginative, artistic and surreal. Ms. Douglas isn't an overly expansive writer, but she somehow paints a very vivid picture of the sights and surroundings, emotions and actions of her characters. Dark City is a nightmarish place, and the imagery rang loud and clear as I read. Sheol has an otherworldly beauty and feeling of peace, and the images of the Fallen appeal greatly to this angel-lover, even in the dark aspects.

I don't love the theology here. Earlier on, I choose to view this book merely as fiction and divorce it from my Christian beliefs, which is the wisest choice for me. Otherwise, I think the portrayal of God would be problematic for me. As a believer in the God of the Old and New Testament, I don't think there is a disconnect between the God of the New and Old Testament, as portrayed in this book, although I know many feel this way. God is shown as a vengeful, angry, unfeeling character, which is not what I believe. I believe in a God that is equally loving and equally just. If I view this merely as characters who have their own way of processing their relationships with God and their subsequent choices and actions, I can still enjoy this book very much, and I did. Outside of my disagreeing with some of the theology, I find the storyline very interesting, and the portrayal of angels is majestic and hypnotically appealing and arresting. I feel that Ms. Douglas writes this books in a very visual and cinematic way.

Azazel is not a nice hero by any stretch of the word, for most of this book. He is almost cruel to Rachel in some ways, although his reluctant feelings (and the fact that he is not a woman-hater) holds him back from hurting her physically. He made a choice that led to something very bad happening to Rachel, and I know some readers won't be able to get past that. Although I don't condone his actions, I understand the turmoil that was behind them. I do like his sea change later in the book, and I think he proved he was worthy of her love. I like how I was able to see how he evolves in his perceptions of Rachel, and as he changes in his feelings towards her, this difference is very apparent in his physical expressions of lust and later passion/love towards Rachel. I could understand that he was angry and hurting over the loss of his latest and best loved wife, and how he wanted to blame Rachel for that because of the prophecy.

As far as Rachel, I liked her from the beginning. She starts as something of a blank canvas, and as the story continues, more and more depth and definition is evident with her character. Her latent identity is slowly and deftly revealed, and it was interesting to process this. The myth of Lilith is interesting, although I have never put much emphasis on it. It ties into that pervasive belief that Judaism and Christianity is inherently misogynistic, which I have never agreed with. More than anything this is a manifestation of the way that these beliefs have been used as a tool for control over others, and through human and societal cruelty, and not due to God disvaluing women (take religion out of the picture and people would find another tool to use against others). Having said that, Rachel is a very sympathetic character, and I liked how Douglas gives the Lilith myth a human and emotional (and relatable) feel instead of dwelling on the horrific aspects of that legend.

As I alluded to earlier in the review, the romantic aspects of the story bloom later, because initially, it's very apparent that Azazel mainly has hatred in his heart for Rachel. It was hard to see that possibility of love initially, but by the end of the book, I did see it. I think that took some skill on Ms. Douglas' part. I went from thinking Azazel was a total loss, and hoping he'd just leave Rachel alone and in peace and safety, to wanting him to prove he was worthy of her and for them to be together. I feel that this ultimately was a successful romance because I was able to arrive at the conviction that they should be together. The love scenes were well-written, showing not just the act of sex, but the emotions, good and bad that went along with it. They were integral to the story, because they revealed crucial aspects of both Azazel and Rachel's psyche, and also their healing processes from damaged emotions and hearts from their journeys in life.

Ultimately, I was very impressed with this novel. This is not just from the viewpoint of a lifelong (and therefore biased) admirer of this writer (Anne Stuart). It is because of her obvious and proven skill as a writer. To take a story that somehow shouldn't appeal and make into something that intrigues me and gets under my skin, leaving me thinking about the story long after I finish it. This book won't work for everyone. Although clearly paranormal romance, there is something very atypical about it. The writing has this flavor that puts it into a different and not always comfortable category. However, I found this to be a feast for the reader's senses. This kind of book takes me on a journey and fully rewards me for the time spent reading it. I definitely loved it.

Casting Suggestions:

Michael Fassbender as Azazel

[image error]

Isla Fisher as Rachel

[image error]

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Demon.

Quotes Danielle The Book Huntress (Self-Proclaimed Book Ninja) Liked

“That's part of your curse. To drive men mad with desire and feel no pleasure".

"Great," I muttered. "And all this time I thought I was frigid.”
Kristina Douglas, Demon

“You have become my own personal demon. You haunt me, tempt me, drive me mad with wanting you, and I can no longer blame prophecies or powers or fate. It's just you. I have chosen you.”
Kristina Douglas, Demon

♡Meme♡Reads love♡ Oh let me know what you think of this one I've reda the first and was kind of iffy on it

Danielle The Book Huntress (Self-Proclaimed Book Ninja) I loved it, Meme. Although I would say check out my review. The romance doesn't impact as much until later in the book.

message 3: by [deleted user] (new)

nice review

♡Meme♡Reads love♡ OMG! love your cast! Ok Lady D what is up with the long bookshelf list LOL! owned-copy, part-of-a-series, angels, demon, favorite-or-autobuy-author, favorites, dangerous-hero-2012-general-reading, antihero, cruel-hero, hero-hard-to-like, hero-redeems-himself, grumpy-surly-brooding-hero, heroine-i-loved, christian-lore, yearly-reading-challenge...& so on & so on LOL!!! it was like you just went down list and checked everything HAHAH too funny Love it now I want to read it even more Thanks:)

Danielle The Book Huntress (Self-Proclaimed Book Ninja) Pretty much, Meme. It's my OCD coming out! :)